voodoo2 accelerator with a geforce fx 5600 ultra

ak1293

I have an old voodoo2 accelerator and was considering installing it on top of my geforce fx card to play voodoo supported games such as Diablo 2. Would this have an adverse effect on voodoo supported and/or more recent games that do not support voodoo games? Anyone know if it will slow things down?

ak

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
i am wondering why you would want to do so. i am sure it would work just fine, but it's really not needed and the graphics quality most likely isn't any better.

subzero7676

ak1293 said:
I have an old voodoo2 accelerator and was considering installing it on top of my geforce fx card to play voodoo supported games such as Diablo 2. Would this have an adverse effect on voodoo supported and/or more recent games that do not support voodoo games? Anyone know if it will slow things down?

ak

OK i have tryed this and it does not help the voodoo graphics are no different then the ones with FX its is perfectly the same except for the game works faster even on the net.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
not sure as to why the game would be faster, but that's cool! :)

i mentioned above, there really isn't any need for the additional graphics accelerator (of that age anyways) with current graphics cards.

Rick G

There may be a difference in your video engine that makes the game faster or there may be more memory, lots of factors that might make a difference. AND now you can run dual monitors, COOL!

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
not to sure about being able to run dual monitors, since the voodoo 2 is a "add-on" card. the output on the primary graphics card has to be plugged into the back of the voodoo 2 for it to be able to function.

Rick G

depend on the mobo, I have run 2 vid cards and 2 monitors before but had to make bios changes and not evry mobo can do it, 1 agp and 1 pci or 2 pci cards.
My laptop runs 3 monitor at the same time and it's old (PII).

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
the thing about the voodoo 2 is that it's not an independent graphics card. it's more of an add-on chip to your existing graphics card on a seperate card. it is only functional when it recieves the video signal from the primary graphics card. see what i mean?

Rick G

Really, how odd, never come across that before.
Does that voodoo card also fit in a seperate pci slot with an output or attach to the existing vid card with no out connection?

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
these cards require a PCI slot and have an video in and output on the back. the input is where you plug the video out of the primary graphics card into and the output of the voodoo card goes to the monitor. no internal connection between the voodoo and the graphics card.

however, if really wanted to try and get some performance out of the old voodoo accelerators, you could add two voodoo 2 cards, since you can link those internally! :) i still personally think it is not needed, being that newer graphics cards will outperform the voodoo while using less resources to do so, but it might be an low bugdet option for some.

Rick G

HMMMM, wonder how many you could link together and would it be substantially better than just 1 plus acc crd? Where do you find those dinosaurs? Might make for an interesting display piece in a clear case?

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
you can find them on ebay. the most you can link together is 2. all it does is that instead of having 1 chip do all the work, it splits it between two.