What camera

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I can't see the last link, but for the newegg ones, I'd go with the Panasonic. They always have great cameras. I have an FZ20 and LOVE it(it was their top of the line 5MP, 12x zoom) I beleive the lens is better on the Panasonic, and that makes much more of a difference than the total megapixles. one of those cannon's also didn't have an image stabilizer. That really helps out, particually when you start zooming into things.

Edit: You JUST beat me :p
lumix = great lens. i'd get the panasonic. but not that one. i'd get...
That's basically the step down from mine. If you can afford it, I'd look into the FZ20. It's a slightly better camrea than the one pdc76 posted, but larger. Heh, but the price should be less than those posted!

pdc76

i'd still go with the one i recommended, or the next higher model The_Other_One has. you'll be real happy with the powerful zoom.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Now can you guys help me out with the optical zoom. I'm trying to find a good pic of say2x vs 4xs or 4x vs 12x. And is 4x basically crap, or is that decent. The only problem with the two you listed is that it would be a little big.

Thanks
Bob

pdc76

optical zoom is what you want, digital zoom is crap, even on a stand. go to a camera store, or best buy or something, and try them.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
I am looking for the distance gained between 2x and 4x, 4x and 6x, 6x and 12x. What is the distance they can fully zoom?

pdc76

4x is twice the difference as 2x. 12x means 12 times the distance as 1x. like i said, go try one and see. if you're more worried about size and only want to take shots of thing right in front of you, then go for the first one. look at the whole lumx line and choose what you want.

vroom_skies

VIP Member
I know all of that. Do you have any pictures of the difference? I want to see (or at least know a number) of the differences.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
1xvq5.jpg

Full wideangle(1x)
12xmi3.jpg

Full telephoto(12x)

Realize once you get past about 3x, you really need a good stabilizer or tripod. I took these pics with the camera on my desk. I didn't move it at all, just zoomed in. No crops, but I did shink them down for better viewing.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Sorry about not posting the other pic... I've been busy. If you still need it(the 4x one) I'll post it.

As for the cannon, if you want one that high-end, I'd go with the Panasonic FZ30. I know between the Panasonic FZ20 and the Cannon S2IS, the Panasonic was a much better camera. I also had a S2IS for a while and returned it. The quality was not as good as I was expecting.

Now, these were the previous models so I suppose they could of improved, but I donno...

vroom_skies

VIP Member
Alright, here we go.

What one now:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_Lumix_DM...31684200-2.html

Now size is a pretty darn big issue to me, so idk. I want the camera to have a very nice feel. It needs to have a decent weight to it. I don't want it if it is very light and cheaply made.

Is it true that Panasonic has propitiatory memory? Is there anything like this I should know about the camera/ brands listed above?

Thanks for the help,

Bob

Last edited:

Maddhatter

if i were you and im not sure about your situation and whatnot but as for me i would try to go for something that you can swap out the lenses on something that you can call an investment i learned this the hard way when i bought my 2 MP camera which isn't bad for family photos or just things around the house i guess but there's always room for improvement

The_Other_One

VIP Member
The FZ20, as I've been preaching, is an awsome camera. However, it is quite large and heavy. The FZ5 and FZ7 are quite similar but smaller. If size is that much of an issue, you may consider ones of those two models...