what do i need???

djjimmy2k2

im going to university next month and the accomodation has got a network point for my computer but i dunno what i need to use it. so far i think ive just got a modem and nothing else, no network card, nothing. also my computer is old, a 350mhz pentium 2, do computers this old have the ability to connect to todays networks? so can i hook up to the unis network and if so what do i need?

please reply soon :)

tristan

If you are moving into the dorms they have a high speed internet connection already established (T1 or T3). They already will have a router setup in your room for both you and your roommate. All you need is a Computer with a 10/100 NIC (Network Interface Card). You can purchase one from basically anywhere that has hardware Walmart, Target, Staples, anywhere. It just has to fit into a Desktop PCI slot.

Some colleges also provide you with a CAT5 network cable but I wouldnt count on it. Pick up a 15-20 foot cord also at the same place you get the NIC.

NIC's are usually no more than 20$. They also will sell them at your school store (but with EVERYONE moving in they may sell out fast)

Last edited:

tristan

If you are moving into a apartment you have to call the local cable people (like comcast) who are usually the ones who will do your cable tv and tell them you want a package TV/Internet deal. They will hook up the cable for you and provide you with the modem and instructions on how to hook it up. You will also need the Network card in place for this.

Last edited:

djjimmy2k2

so all i'll need is a pci network card? cool. i don't really know anything about the workings of computers so thanks mate.

kalson

netgear is good the port setup thing is easy unlike SMC ><!!!!! SMC is sucky now, the router i used for like 2 months and it loses connections some time, then i got netgear :) its goood!!!!

nomav6

in my dorm we just had one connection so we had to buy a hub, so when you get there make sure you check to see how many connection you have coming in just in case you have a roommate that would need to hook up to the network too, also I would check to see if they have wireless broadcasted over the campus, most colleges are doing that now, if so you might want to get a wireless card, but if your just using a desktop I wouldn't stress over it much :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
the router I used for like 2 months and it loses connections some time, then I got netgear
All brands have their nightmare stories :)

But you can probably find out the details by checking documentation made by the Universities IT department :)