What do you guys think will be the next big thing to hit the computer market?

Tuffie

I reckon it will be 12 core processors, or a GPU that would be more powerfull then the 8800 GTX that's cheap.

I reckon 12 Cores would be flipping awesome, and I would buy it as soon as I could, I saw an article that 10 cores would be available towards the end of next year.

Discuss.

Kent.

wizle

I think it will be touch screens where no mouse or cursor is needed. Java is working on one now!

My brain thot 1 thing typed ...doh! What I meant was holograms

Last edited:

zaroba

theres already touch screen monitors out.

a nice thing to come to pc would be cost effecient removable magnetic storage that hold 250gb or more. something like the trays in hard drives except you can just slip them in a drive and quickly write (and easily rewrite) 250gb on em.

or optical discs that can accept 250+ gb.

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
at a guess i think it will be the storage that see's the change. The move towards solid state drives is moving along quickly. Some are available now but not in any big numbers. I can see it being solid state drives that are affordable and reducing load times considerably. Either that or the new format in HDD allowing larger space, theres already a lot of research in advanced stages for this

PohTayToez

at a guess i think it will be the storage that see's the change. The move towards solid state drives is moving along quickly. Some are available now but not in any big numbers. I can see it being solid state drives that are affordable and reducing load times considerably. Either that or the new format in HDD allowing larger space, theres already a lot of research in advanced stages for this

Agreed... solid state drives are getting cheaper, and have many advantages over the traditional HDD. It would be great to have a 500GB drive that you didn't have to worry as much about failing as it would have no moving parts.

nmwords

Last edited:

Tuffie

Yeah HD is something that will be tackled, and then maybe processors with 16 cores coming out!?

Rofl.

Kent.

heyman421

banned
Affordable, and high capacity magneto optical discs.

The writing accuracy of a magnetic disk, coupled with the reduced reading risk of optical.

Styrak

Affordable, and high capacity magneto optical discs.

The writing accuracy of a magnetic disk, coupled with the reduced reading risk of optical.

MO disks are OLDSKOOL!

And somebody who said HD, I hope you mean hard disk technology, because computer monitors and video cards, by definition, are High Definition.

WeatherGeek

I think not too long from now 16GB RAM will be common, seeing as within the last 10-12 years common RAM amounts have increased 128fold, from 16mb or so to now 2GB

I also agree with 16core (not 12 core) processors

I was thinking that each processor core would only receive one type of instruction, could this happen? Of, this is when we go past the "octi-cores" (8).

Geoff

VIP Member
I was thinking that each processor core would only receive one type of instruction, could this happen? Of, this is when we go past the "octi-cores" (8).

They are working on processors and software to actually have specific tasks dedicated to certain cores.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I know it does not have anything to do with dedicated tasks for each core, but I think the new Barcelona is suppost to be able to raise and lower each core mhz separately as needed and still keep the memory controller at the same speed.

Last edited: