• Yes

Votes: 49 96.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Christian Darrall

Well the idea was brought to me while watching the AOL advert for the internet,

and got very curious.

Do you think the internet is a good or bad thing?

What do think we would have used if the internet wasn't invented?

Geoff

VIP Member
Christian Darrall said:
well i said it was a bad thing because people are allowd to do what ever they want
If you think its a bad thing then why are you on it?

The fact is, today the world would not operate without the internet. Think about it... all the global chains are conected via the internet, otherwise everytime you go to a different bank to withdraw money they have to enter all your information again.

If we didnt have internet, it would be alot harder for us to research information, short of going to the library. It's also made it alot easier to get directions, then having to look at a map and plan it out. It also makes online buying possible, otherwise i would have to resort to overpriced retail stores. There also wouldnt be instant messaging or e-mail, and it would be alot harder to communicate.
What do think we would have used if the internet wasn't invented?
The world would operate a heck of alot slower.

Last edited:

jimmymac

VIP Member
there are arguements for both good and bad sides for the internet, in general it is a good thing i think, helping business, communication lines are much improved becuase of it etc

The flip side is the kind of information that has become readily available, theres a lot of dangerous stuff on the web that millions can access everyday.

MyCattMaxx

Christian Darrall said:
Well the idea was brought to me while watching the AOL advert for the internet,

AOL!!!

AOLBanner.gif

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Christian Darrall said:
well i said it was a bad thing because people are allowd to do what ever they want
That's called "freedom". What goes along with that is called "responsibility".

Do I think the 'net is good or bad? I think it's good, a Godsend, a miracle. I've been able to access information that my library hasn't even heard of yet, discovered medical info for my family that even the doctor didn't know yet (!), been able to keep in touch with people from all over, learn more than I could ever hope for when I was in high school. To me, the internet is biggest, best, most incredible combination of Public Library and Magazine Rack ever devised.

Tom

Last edited:

Christian Darrall

but what abput the people usiing the internet to take over camaras and hijacking email accounts,

or even the people who use the internet to sell babies and rob people for everything they have.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
That's where the responsibility part comes in, Christian. The good people have to keep an eye out for evil ones, report them when we can, and fight the good fight... just like in the real world, the cyberworld has its bad as well as good people. But I believe the good points about the 'Net far outweigh the bad.
Tom

Christian Darrall

ok but fighting the bad things as they appear isn't going to stop them, its going to make them worse as the bad people will find ways around it.

4W4K3

VIP Member
With anything that has the ability to connect people, other people will exploit it. Phone calls and sending letters both have their risks. You can't think that if the internet never existed that there would be less crime or something, the people who do it would just focus their intentions on something else.

Anyways, I think it's a good thing. It has far more positives than negatives for me. I can buy products in China if I want, and send e-mails globally. Think how boring your purchases would be without the internet. You'd have to look at pictures in a magazine, send a letter asking for something, wait for a reply, everything would be snail slow. Most everything would be available locally, or not at all.

Christian Darrall

i will admit that the internet has its advantages, and as you guys would say "its pros" but it isn't really a risk worth taking, people could be hacking into our computers as we speek,

people are autioning children for sex use only.

and i haven't noticed a decrease in spyware, popups or viruses,

its as if the WAN owners arn't helping in eliminating the problems

4W4K3

VIP Member
Christian Darrall said:
i will admit that the internet has its advantages, and as you guys would say "its pros" but it isn't really a risk worth taking, people could be hacking into our computers as we speek,

Your logic resembles paranoia at best, i've seen it on the forums here before lol. "The internet isn't safe, when you turn on your computer Bill Gates gets your credit card information and hackers can see your personal information!"

In that case, I'd suggest never getting on the internet again. But if you can't even get the problem right, I say forget trying to come up with a solution. Prostitution and sale of people has been going on for hundreds of years, the internet is just a newer way of making it happen. It won't stop, even if the internet 100% completely got rid of it (impossible). There is evil in the world, and you will never be able to get rid of it all. The best thing to do is try and stop what you can, and learn to accept that you can't put an end to everyone's problems tomorrow.

Geoff

VIP Member
Christian Darrall said:

As i said before, if your paranoid about it and dont like the internet, why are you on it?

Christian Darrall

hey who said i was paranoid,i said there was a risk.

and the internet has made this world to dependent on it, if it shuts off for a day everyone will be upset, and i wish it was back like the armish days.

and btw i wasn't expecting everyone on this site to gang up on me and prove me wrong, but i was simply asking for opinions, which no bodys given yet,

theve said its great, but why,

Last edited:

4W4K3

VIP Member
I've named several reasons, reflecting on the local market/consumer base. Of course I've far from researched it, just applying what little bit of common sense I have lol.

In the next 2 weeks I hope to be receiving a hand forged katana made right in the heart of China at the Cheness Cutlery forge. Without internet, how would i have found such a sword? It would have been impossible.