What program should I use to open and see images?

munkyeetr

If you are running Windows, I would just use the default Image Viewer, coupled with Thumbnail View on the folder containing the images. It works.

EDIT: Well, at least Thumbnail View works in XP, I was just quickly looking and couldn't find a way to set it in Vista. Does anyone else know how?

There are others...
ACDSee: which I was a big fan of in version 4, but has now IMHO become bloated and unwieldy. Too much packed in. Costs money.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm: like ACDSee, but a little lighter. Especially in the wallet! Freeware.

Last edited:

lhoney2

Picasa is fantastic if you don't need to do any high-powered editing. You can crop, adjust contrast, sharpen, etc. The organization of the Picasa album is really nice too. It's also very easy to email pictures, upload to web albums from Picasa, or send to the developer of your choice. I upload my pics straight from Picasa to Walgreens with just a few clicks. An hour later I can drive 5 minutes and pickup my prints.

Picasa is good for most people I would think.

alexandergre

Picasa is very good for viewing and basic editing. Its free and very fast.
However I use Adobe Bridge to view my photos. I use adobe Bridge because It can also read RAW files. I take photos in RAW format.

lhoney2

I use adobe Bridge because It can also read RAW files. I take photos in RAW format.

Picasa can read RAW files also. I'm not saying Picasa can do it all, because it can't, but it does read RAW files. If you are taking RAW files, you probably will want something a little more than Picasa anyway though.

nffc10

If you are running Windows, I would just use the default Image Viewer, coupled with Thumbnail View on the folder containing the images. It works.

EDIT: Well, at least Thumbnail View works in XP, I was just quickly looking and couldn't find a way to set it in Vista. Does anyone else know how?

There are others...
ACDSee: which I was a big fan of in version 4, but has now IMHO become bloated and unwieldy. Too much packed in. Costs money.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm: like ACDSee, but a little lighter. Especially in the wallet! Freeware.

3rd that.;) Use ACDsee it's very neat.