What video card can I put in a Dell Precision 380 that will work with Windows 10? It has an Nvidea Q

dspgandalf

I need to get a video card that will work with Windows 10 on a Dell Precision 380--It's a PCIe card with a power connector on the card. Can't figure that out. Any ideas? It has a Nvidia FX 3450 card.
Also I have a Pentium D 3.0 GHz with 8 GB of RAM so it's working--kind'a. I can't update the driver because this is so old, but it's running Windows 10 without a hiccup except for the video latency--skips like crazy--Didn't have the problem with XP: just after the upgrade. Mind you, this is 64 bit.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Any new card would work as long as a good power supply isn't required. So looking at possibly an R7 250. What are you wanting to use the system for?

dspgandalf

Any new card would work as long as a good power supply isn't required. So looking at possibly an R7 250. What are you wanting to use the system for?
It's for my 6 year old--no gaming. But it has a single power connecter, low profile PCIe slot

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you won't be gaming on it, there is no need to get a video card that requires the power connector. Plain and simple. Besides the Precision series is a work station computer, not designed for gaming. All you need is a video card compatible with windows 10. Why spend more money on this ancient pc when its not needed?

dspgandalf

If you won't be gaming on it, there is no need to get a video card that requires the power connector. Plain and simple. Besides the Precision series is a work station computer, not designed for gaming. All you need is a video card compatible with windows 10. Why spend more money on this ancient pc when its not needed?

I was just wondering if they have them because I'd like to utilize it--if not--I'd like to get something with a GB of on board mem that is cheap with low Wattage
And it's got to be Nvidea based

beers

Staff member
What budget did you have? Might be easier if we had that in order to just suggest a card.

Pretty much anything will work for 2D.

Any reason you are specific for nVidia?

dspgandalf

Had'em all my life and have had good luck with them--plus, that's what's in it. If I cant utilize the power cord then I need something that's low wattage and has a least a GB of on board mem

Darren

Staff member
950ti is a good option and allows for future uses.
This card does not exist, and if it did is a waste of money for OP's uses.

Had'em all my life and have had good luck with them--plus, that's what's in it. If I cant utilize the power cord then I need something that's low wattage and has a least a GB of on board mem

Just to clarify, a PCI-E slot can provide up to 75 watts of power to a card. If a card draws more power than that it will require extra power connectors either via 6 or 8 pin connector(s). Since you're not gaming on this machine and it's for a 6 year old, you only need a basic video card that won't even consume 75 watts. Which means you don't need a card with an external connector.