When will they come out with 8.1 surround sound?

ADE

banned
OK, so 7.1 surround sound has 7 speaker and a sub-woofer. they all are placed above your head (except for sub-woofer) I believe. So what do you think 8.1 will be like? maybe some speakers on the ground so that you can hear whats below you in video games. What do YOU think it could? When do you think it will come, and how much do you think it would cost to get a sound card for it, and most importantly, would you buy one?

Bobo

banned
I like my speakers just how they are. 10 speakers and a sub on a 5.1 card.

I think that we will be more focused on developing better sound, not just more sound. Maybe if we can integrate light into paint, we can do the same with sound? Paint our walls with speaker paint....

ADE

banned
Well not so much as better sound, but how we hear it and how it can utilize our sense of hearing and give us a more realistic view of the dimension of the digitally created surroundings. Making the ability of directional sound IS improving sound quality, just by making it more realistic. with 7.1 you here up and around you, not down. You can get something maybe that will make it appear that there is a source of sound down there, but that's just a low effectiveness of the real thing.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
HEY! Why not have double speakers. You know, like say Front Left 1 and 2. However, #2 is placed about 100' from your current one so you get those really far off sounds....... :p

Bobo

banned
HEY! Why not have double speakers. You know, like say Front Left 1 and 2. However, #2 is placed about 100' from your current one so you get those really far off sounds....... :p
Well why not just simulate that somehow? It would make for some really cool effects...:D

Verve

The next step would be 9.1 I think. They go by odd numbers usually, probably cause' of the "center speaker."

4W4K3

VIP Member
We need ceiling speakers, that point right down on you. In most games these days you have dialog from a narrator, or the first person speaks, or some kind of voice that only the main character hears, thats what the overhead speakers would be used for I guess, pointed directly at the top of your head so it's a clear and defined voice. Having it come from behind you or in front of you or beside you is kind of odd...but right above you gives the "God" type of effect I guess, or supernatural/non-existent but present type of...thing.

Bobo

banned
We just need about 300 speakers, that have te loudness and quility of normal sized speakers but are paper thin and about 3x3inches in size. with about 40 or so subs 4x4 in size that as just as effective.
That's what I was saying about speaker paint, so that you could just paint your sound system onto your wall. Infinite speakers.

ADE

banned
I heard about something that is like a speaker, only you have to be in a certain area of the waves of sound. Its like earphones, but there not on your head there speakers. If you sit in one area you hear it, you move you head 3 feet and all the musics gone. With this you can blast extremely inappropriate music in from of you parents and they would never know it. Even if they were 2 feet from the hearing zone. Unless they went to use your computer then right when they sit down the song blasts and your pop is screaming how do i turn it down you your ma would be saying turn what down? why are you yelling......But you get my point. You can't buy them yet though, I think it will be many years until there mass produced.

Bobo

banned
I heard about something that is like a speaker, only you have to be in a certain area of the waves of sound. Its like earphones, but there not on your head there speakers. If you sit in one area you hear it, you move you head 3 feet and all the musics gone. With this you can blast extremely inappropriate music in from of you parents and they would never know it. Even if they were 2 feet from the hearing zone. Unless they went to use your computer then right when they sit down the song blasts and your pop is screaming how do i turn it down you your ma would be saying turn what down? why are you yelling......But you get my point. You can't buy them yet though, I think it will be many years until there mass produced.
Huh...You have any links for that? Sounds interesting....

4W4K3

VIP Member
Directional speakers, you can only hear them if they are pointed at you. A person 2 feet away won't be able to hear it. I've heard of them as well.

Hah, I said what you said...

ADE

banned
Yes. That would be great in a car. "now introducing the all new Rolls Royce with 6, yes count them, 6 different sets of radios and now, thanks to overpricing our cars, you can have all of the 6 different radios on at the same time with different stations and never hear a peep of the persons station next to you. You can get this pure luxury car with 1 stare crash impact rating (style is so much more important than safety) for only $15,562,852,441. That's right as you can see by the price it is on sale, so act now!"
Thatll be the day....

ADE

banned
Directional speakers, you can only hear them if they are pointed at you. A person 2 feet away won't be able to hear it. I've heard of them as well.

Hah, I said what you said...
Hay maybe you have a link. Do you?:eek:

chrisalviola

OK, so 7.1 surround sound has 7 speaker and a sub-woofer. they all are placed above your head (except for sub-woofer) I believe. So what do you think 8.1 will be like? maybe some speakers on the ground so that you can hear whats below you in video games. What do YOU think it could? When do you think it will come, and how much do you think it would cost to get a sound card for it, and most importantly, would you buy one?
I think they will place those speakers in your ass.:p