• Cannon Powershot SD630

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Cannon powershot SD550

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Cannon Powershot SD450

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

buttermeblue2

I'm looking to get a Cannon Powershot, but I'm not sure which of the three to get. I'm 17 so it will be used for pictures with friends at the beach and things like that but I also like to take pictures of sceneries and flowers in black and which. Here are the three and some of the tech details.
Any options?? Thanksss

Cannon PowerShot SD630

• 6.0-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 14 x 19-inch prints
  • 3x optical zoom; 3.0-inch LCD display
  • ISO 800 shooting; widescreen (16:9) stills recording
  • Fast Frame Rate Movie Mode for shooting high-quality movies at up to 60 frames per second QVGA (320 x 240)
  • Powered by a lithium-ion battery (battery and charger included); stores images on SD cards

Cannon SD550
  • 7.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
  • 2.5-inch LCD display; optical viewfinder; 3x optical zoom
  • Shoot high-quality movies at up to 60 frames per second with Fast Frame Rate Movie Mode
  • DIG!C II Image Processor for faster processing, vibrant colors, and excellent image quality
  • 16 shooting modes including My Color settings for customization while shooting

Cannon SD450

• 5-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 13 x 17-inch prints
  • 2.5-inch LCD display; optical viewfinder; 3x optical zoom
  • Shoot high-quality movies at up to 60 frames per second with Fast Frame Rate Movie Mode
  • DIG!C II Image Processor for faster processing, vibrant colors, and excellent image quality
  • 12 shooting modes including My Color settings for customization while shooting

Last edited:

VicTTim77

My mom just got the SD630 and I've been playing around with it. It takes great pictures and it's not to expensive. Also persanoly I think any thing over a 6.5 megapixel is a wast.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
DCIScouts said:
Actually, most things over about 5MP is a waste...
VERY untrue, unless you just print directly from the camera, and not crop the images down or anything...

I can't find a review on the all the cameras. As obvious as it seems and as others have said, the highest number of the bunch SHOULD be the best. However, I don't know the differences between them right off, features, CCD size, f-stop, etc etc.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
The_Other_One said:
VERY untrue, unless you just print directly from the camera, and not crop the images down or anything...

I can't find a review on the all the cameras. As obvious as it seems and as others have said, the highest number of the bunch SHOULD be the best. However, I don't know the differences between them right off, features, CCD size, f-stop, etc etc.
Hmm..., well I'm going to have to disagree. You could crop a 5MP image 50% and still have the exact same quality of image on an 8x10 as an uncropped image. If you print larger images than this, or you're going to crop further than this, ok. But the only people that really have any need for more than 5MP are professional photographers. That's why I say that anything more than 5MP is a waste.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Fine, say what you want...but if you paste an image from a 5MP camera onto an 8x10 template in Photoshop, you WILL have to expand it some to fill it totally

mthrbrd

have the sd630. thinking more would be better.

That 3x zoom on these things is a joke.

Just sayin these aren't for me. may serve you just fine.

what's your $$ limit? spend it- get the most you can get for that amount. you can always ignore features you don't use but you can't add em on later down the road without sheeling out for a new camera. and a few more megapixels per shot on a card seldom hurt anyone.

Last edited:

a_zaidi

Burgon said:
I have the SD550 too, bought it in dubai, whats the price in america for it?

Anyone happen to know how much the SD630 costs in Dubai? I'm goin there in a few days...