Votes: 8 1.1%
  • other (specify)

Votes: 9 1.2%

• Total voters

ian

Administrator
Staff member
AMD vs Intel

On the one hand AMD seems to be the first to release the latest advances, however Intel is in a much stronger financial position.
I have swayed towards Intel for the processors on the computers I have bought.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
3 people here, who holds the deciding vote? Has to be [tab]

cptnwinky

VIP Member
AMD are just faster chips. The P4 is too slow because of the large L2 Cache. Since AMD hasnt brokent he 256 mark they are alot faster. I think Intel has learned from their mistake though and brought the L2 Cache from 512 back down to 256.

charly

i guess intel was the better one, but still it's a matter of cost. so AMD is a lot cheeper and with the new 64, AMD is leading with a new structure. like i read on tests microsoft is also responding to it's technical structure and they will support 64Bit from AMD.

after some calculations i did INTEL systems are cheaper than AMD in case of needet cooling systems (like I use 7 fans to cool down without CPU cooler). finally with the 64 AMD they got on 1st place. i still preferre AMD's, and i still have no prob with coolers. getting a watercooled CPU this month should solve that problem like the system i made for my friend who has a CPU temperature around 30°C.

cooling down is the best way to make speed, so i still re- arrange and replace coolers to get best results. the original watercooled here in europe cools down do 42°C and the one i did works with 27°C or at highest 30°C just because changing and replacing fan's positions and rpm.

for the common people AMD is the best, if your pocket has money left go for the INTEL ... if you wanna waste your money

ciao, charly

Aleksey

I'd say that AMD has a better value for price. Intel adds $100 just for the name. Also, If you order a 512 cache for AMD, it WILL be more productive than an Intel, unless that too has a 512 cache. But then, they would make it cost over $1000 wich is pathetic.

Aleksey

I hate macs. They're jsut cheap. Sure, Lunix is a great OS, but you odn't have to have a Mac to operate on that.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
what's a mac have to do with linux? the standart os on a mac these days is "OS X Panther". *shrug* also, a lot of the newer technology comes from apple. for instance usb and firewire came from them. also, mac's are 64-bit already and thereby once again were the first to move up in technology. i guess in a sense i wish mac's were cheap, so that way i could afford one! :D :p but each his or her own, i guess. :)