Which ones better

34erd

My mom just bought two cameras, the Cannon Powershot SD400, and the Powershot A520. Now she wants to return one. Which one is better? I know nothing about cameras.

Xycron

banned
What are you using it for? wem, what will she be useing it for? There are advantages to them both, main ones are optical zoom, MP, and LCD screen size lmao

34erd

Which one would be better for closeup shots? I'm assuming the A520 because it has a bigger zoom... But IDK

Also which one has longer battery life?

EDIT: I think I'm going with the A520. I heard the SD400 doesnt have any manual controls.

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Which one would be better for closeup shots? I'm assuming the A520 because it has a bigger zoom... But IDK

The larger zoom is for taking Pictures that the subject is further. Although when you say "closeup shots" I assume you mean macro shots in which case the zoom has nothing to do with it.

If you really want detailed info about either you can google and have all the info you need for both withing half an hour.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
true, but why buy a camera that is much worse (IMO) just because it has a zoom?

Oh no sorry you missunderstand... I said "10X" zoom. Neither of those are close to that. Just voicing my concern with the camera's having a low zoom or 4x, 3x. If you like a low zoom camera in your face photography then great.

spacedude89

Blue said:
Oh no sorry you missunderstand... I said "10X" zoom. Neither of those are close to that. Just voicing my concern with the camera's having a low zoom or 4x, 3x. If you like a low zoom camera in your face photography then great.

oh, lol. i didnt bother to check the info, anyways yea, me nither. i love my 32x optical zoom camera :D

computerhakk

VIP Member
like i said, i would prefer the sd400. its a better camera to me overall. better reviews. one of the top 3, or maybe even the top 1 in point and shoot.

well, i am assuming your mother knows about cameras and their manual controls like iso, af area, ev shifts, digital zooms, ev, etc.. and many other things. if she doesn't, she probalby will have no use for it if all she need is a point and shoot.

and yes, the zoom has nothing to do with the closeness of you to the image. its how close you can pull a far image to you. the closeness is macro, how close you can get to an image. 1cm, 3cm, 5cm. etc..

34erd

Arrghh... I already opened the A520. If I delete all the pcitures I took on the starter card and put everything back, do you think I can return it? Unfortunetly my mom didnt buy from newegg but costco I'm not sure if its a chain or just in CA.

Oh yeah... and my mom knows nothing... I dont know much myself, but I want to learn.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
The A520 has more optical zoom which helps with taking shots further away without degrading the picture quality. And I actually like the fact that the A520 uses AAs because they're easier to find, and it will take any kind of AA you can find (li-ion, NiMH, alkaline, etc...) Furthermore, the A520 would be a better camera to learn on, it has more options located on the camera through buttons and wheels than through the on-camera menus. Finally, the additional megapixel that the SD400 gives will only matter if you are doing an insane amount of cropping (more than 50% of the picture for an 8x10!) or if you want to do larger than a 20x30" print. Here's a few benchmarks for you: 3MB - 8x10", 4MP - 20x30", 5MP - 20x30" (I know it's the same, but that's how they're rated...), 6MP - 30x40", etc... With new cameras and the higher megapixel, all they really give you for the most part is the ability to crop more without risking losing picture quality, or printing out a bigger picture (which would require a photo lab anyway) without losing picture quality. It really does not improve the quality of a wallpaper image or the quality of a 4x6 print or even an 8x10.