Widescreen Pixel Streching

sirschuster

Here's a question to all you computer gurus because Dell support is worthless, especially when you know more about computers than the Tech support...

I have an Inspiron 9100 with a radeon 9700 card. It's a widescreen model, which is great on my desktop but crappy for some apps and especially games. The computer attempts to strech, or squash the pixels so that they fill the 1600 x 1050 screen, instead of maintaing the original apect ratio of the program. A buddy of mine has the exact same computer and his just puts black bars around the game instead of streching the pixels, kinda like watching a full screen broadcast on a widescreen tv... bars on the side. This is what I want it to do.

Anyone have any ideas?

P.S. If anyone says delete this system file, or your monitor is bad I'll know your actually a dell phonetechie!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The computer attempts to strech, or squash the pixels so that they fill the 1600 x 1050 screen, instead of maintaing the original apect ratio of the program
"What" is getting squished? A movie? A game?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
LCDs uses a stretching filter to adjust image to their native resolution.
In control panel/display search for an option "scale" at an LCD tab and disable it.

sirschuster

Thank you Lorand! I knew it was something simple like this, I just didn't know what exactly I was looking for! Thank thank thank you...

Hmmmm, maybe I should send it back to dell anyway for all their stupidity!

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
The simplest way is to rotate your monitor with approx. 41.5°. Then the image appears to be of aspect ratio 4:3 instead of 16:9... :D