Windows 98 installed badly

Hey guys,
I just recently wiped and reloaded my old pc (very crappy pc, only 2gb) and it now runs terribly slow. It used to run reasonably ok but now its inoperatable. It takes almost a minute to pop up start. Are there any tweaks you should do after installing win98 or other packs cos my pc has become redundant. Help much needed!!!
Monk and Two Peas

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you installed all the correct drivers? Is the DMA access checked at drives' properties?

Pyotr

I have an old P-75 with 120 MB Ram (God knows how I did that) and 1,5 GB HDD, and it works just fine with 98. But if it worked fine before, you probably didn't do everything right. ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
2GB drive... DMA ... not likely i dont think... if they are runing PIO, make sure its mode 4 (the fastest possible)... thats a BIOS setting :)

BRILLIANT!! IT'S FIXED!!!! I didn't understand what you meant with the PIO and I couldn't find a mode 4 but i just started messing around in bios. Thanks a million!!!
Praetor you're a legend!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
BRILLIANT!! IT'S FIXED!!!! I didn't understand what you meant with the PIO and I couldn't find a mode 4 but I just started messing around in bios. Thanks a million!!!
Praetor you're a legend!!!
Uh ... ok! :D Glad i um... got you in the right direction! :)