\windows\system32\config\system

u.k.man

Hi all, I was surfing the net the other day and all of a sudden the screen went blank and then booted up it said 'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
So I put in my Set up CD/ROM as it was asking for it and basically I lost all of my data cos it wiped everything and put a new fresh Windows XP from scratch... Some people would think great I have got it up and running again,however I was really upset because I had lost everything.
Do you guys think it was some kind of virus that did this in the first place?
Do you think it was Microsoft checking to see if I had a genuine XP?
Is there an easier way of preventing this in the future and not having to redo the whole windows xp thing? :confused: U.K.MAN

patrickv

dunno if it's virus..but you should have repaired your XP installation not re-install dude.If you're worry about your data get a copy of " Ontrack easy recovery pro" . it does all sort of recovery from raw to advance.Anyway give it a try if you want data back..

Well as for the future make sure you backup data regularly.
I have a spare HD backing up some of my C & E and F & G data on sundays,wednesdays and saturday.

And it was not microsoft checking LEGITIMACY cause i myself have fake windows version.
hope it helps

revo2.5

That same thing happened to me right after I reformated once. I don't know exactly what happened though. So I guess you can't now, but you probably could have put your hard drive/s into another computer after the windows system got corrupted and gotton your files off.

u.k.man

Thanks for the info guys. It was a pain in the a** losing all my data but as I had said I went to repair off the CD/ROM but it re-installed everything but all I wanted to do was repair that god damn file.