Wireless network problems

i have set up a wireless network in my house so me and my bro can share broadband. I put the router on the stairs as this is the highest point it will go. Both of our computers are upstairs. The network keeps on disconnecting and i have to pull out the power lead on the router to get a signal again. What is the problem could it be that the router has to be on the same level as the computer????????

Ace1627

You might want to check your settings. It could be that your computer is renewing its ip every so often so it is cutting off your connection. Another thing could be, the range of the signel is cut down with every floor or wall it must travel through. If it is a possibility place the router right next to the computer you want to recieve and see if it still cuts off. If it doesn't then you know it is just a distance problem. And no, your router could be anywhere. You can have it mounted on your celing if you want. :) Hope this helps.

RewtKidd

well if it works good for 3 hours, it shouldn't be that, do you use a 2.4 ghz router? if you use a 2.4 ghz router and a 2.4 ghz phone, that could be it, also microwaves work on 2.4 ghz too. maybe it's your neibor?

ye wen i try to repair the connection it coms up cant find ip address or something like that. i think it is renewing the ip address every so often what shud i do?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ye I did all that when I set it up it works fine but every couple of hours I disconnects
Sometimes routers will overheat but that doesnt happen that often and not with such regularity. Also, could it just be the WAN connection?

do you use a 2.4 ghz router? if you use a 2.4 ghz router and a 2.4 ghz phone, that could be it
Phones wont interferre as its a different section of the spectrum. Florescent light son the otherhand, will.

ye wen I try to repair the connection it coms up cant find ip address or something like that
Reset the router. :)