Wish to change from XP to 2000

Blythe

I have an almost new compaq with Win XP. An important program that I use to download & upload info from security systems in various locations, is not working properly. The equipment (and software) manufacture tells me that the software (dos) does not work well with XP. Can I install windows 2000 professional, and keep the other programs intact that are on my notebook at this tme? Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you. Blythe

[tab]

[...]
I don't think you can "downgrade" WinXP, you'll have to install Win2K on a separate partition and dual boot if you want to use both.

Blythe

Thanks for your reply: Do not want to "dual boot". I only want to do away with win XP, and install win 2000. Can you tell me how to do this? Thanks again.

Death_Shadow

Yeah you can, go to the CMOS setup and choose to only boot from CD, then use your win 2000 CD to install win 2000, however, if you've not got a seperate partition for you data that you want to keep you'll have to back it all up because I think it'll format your entire hard drive. If you have partitions just format the partition containing XP then install Windows 2000 on that partition. I would advise you to duel boot however if you wish to keep some of your windows XP applications. Dunno if this helps.

Blythe

Dual boot

Wow . . this sounds complicated! Is there a way to only have win 2000 or win 98 on this laptop, and start all over with the programs and data? Reason: there is one Dos program that I need to use on this laptop, and it does not work well with XP. This program is used in my business, and is important to me. The company [that designed the software] indicates that I should not have any problems running it with 98e or 2000. Thank you London.