Work and Play HDs

CmoAMD

Hey... I need a new computer for work. I will have alot of Adobe programs, Office 2003 Professional... the works. So thats alot of GB.

I also play CS/WoW though. How can I split up the HDs so the programs run well?

I was thinking of a 2 x 250GB/16MB Cache and split the programs up in there as my main HD. Then a small 36GB/10K RPM HD for my games.

Suggestions? RAID 0?

Last edited:

suprasteve

do you know how much space they are going to take up? 500gb sounds like more than plenty to have that many programs and a lot of files as well, but I would say don't run raid ) on it, cause then if you lose on drive you lose all your information. If anything I might run raid1 for the files you're working on, and if you're worried about speed, look at the maxtor 250's, some of them have 16mb caches which will help out too

CmoAMD

I'll have mostly these programs.
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, GoLive
Microsoft Office 2003 Pro - Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, Publisher, InfoPath + Frontpage
Macromedia Dreamweaver 8, Flash 8 Professional

I'll try and add up size.

Last edited:

CmoAMD

How does this sound,

Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
for my windows/games

For all my files(websites, images, documents, etc)

For all my programs(photoshop, illustrator, Office 2003, etc)

Im not sure how to set it up though, should I RAID? or ... im not sure. Do they all have to be there own drive? C, D, E? How would it work?

CmoAMD

Ok I did the math, all the programs plus a few little ones that come with them is a little less than 5GB. Then the Microsoft ones were a little less than 1GB. So 36GB for my programs is fine.

bigsaucybob

CmoAMD said:
Ok I did the math, all the programs plus a few little ones that come with them is a little less than 5GB. Then the Microsoft ones were a little less than 1GB. So 36GB for my programs is fine.

well also remember that as time goes on ur gonna be getting more and more programs that are gonna take up more space.so u shuld leave room for expansion.

CmoAMD

I still have 30GB left... thats about all the programs I need for a while, they'll only get a little bigger with updates.

Do you know how I should set it up? Have them each as thier own drives, RAID, or how?

potshot87

If it was my computer, I'd simply have a 40GB for my Windows installation and core programs (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop, Firefox). Then I'd have a 100GB+ for all other stuff (games, movies, music). Defrag every now and then, and everything should be alrite.