Work Play HDD Question

Bubbaduke

I have an external USB HD and am wondering about a few issues with it. My work computer is monitered heavily by IT and am wondering if it is possible to run programs off of the USB HD and keep latent info off of my Laptop HDD. I use XP SP2. Also, is it possible to view files from the HD without them showing up in some unknown(to me) folder on my work computer? I realize doing this will use the systems RAM, but is any of that info recorded by the Laptop anywhere in the system? Thanks for the help, I have a job where I am on the road and would like the creature comforts available to me at home, without compromising my WORK Laptop.

Bubba

Bubbaduke

BTW hello everyone, glad to be here.

Also what about a flash memory usb stick. Will viewing the files on them show up in the registry(whatever that is) or laptop HDD, recoverable by IT.

This forum is great and seems to be full of many answers I have long had questions too.

Grax,
Bubba

helmie

No, i doubt it, so long as you dont copy any files to the laptop.

The HDD and flash drive would act just the same, just go into my computer and click the device.

Dngrsone

VIP Member
You might have to worry about "recent documents" and "recently accessed" entries, but otherwise there shouldn't be a problem there.

I have Portable Firefox on a thumbdrive and it leaves nothing behind on the work computer.

One thing to remember about flashdrives, though, is they have a finite number of writes to them. Just something to keep in mind.

Best policy-- don't run anything on the laptop that you know IT wouldn't approve of. Second best policy-- ask for permission to add stuff you feel is necessary.