Worst Friday Night Ever - HD Problem

Hylian

Okay, so I buy a new video card, and I figure I'll do a clean install of XP so I don't have any issues with driver mess ups. Mistake of the day.

Last month I got a new 160GB HD, and upgrade from a 20GB HD, and I was using them both before today's incident. I decided not to keep the 20GB HD anymore, and just have the 160 as a solo master.

- I've played around with the jumper settings, and set it on every possible setting my guide has given me (Wester Digital 160GB 7200rpm)
- Used Fdisk and Data Life Guard utilities (separetely of course), and my windows recovery disk won't recognize my partition after Data Lifeguard, yet will after fdisk
- After using fdisk, my partition size is only 32GB, instead of 160 (get's to 137 on the Datalife setting)
- WHen I go to install windows xp on the fdisk'd drive, it copies the first batch of files over, then reboots (I have to remove the disk so the next step begins)
- On this next step, I get the message of it's configuring my hardware, then it says my HD is full, and can't add anymore of the files, and instalation gives me an option of retrying, or rebooting, and then this just keeps repeating.

I'm really stumped on what to do, because HD formats have been a breeze for me in the past (6 times no problems with the 20GB HD - every 6 months, past 3 years).

What really get's me, is I tried to recreate last months scenario of installing it as if it was brand new, yet now I can't even install windows xp on the 20GB harddrive (Maxtor 20GB 5400rpm), because I get the same problem.

Been working on this for 12 hours straight, and I'm desparate. I'd really appreciate some help!