Worth Getting?

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say yes because

1.probably would help airflow better in the case...mine are those flat horrible ones:D

2.looks nicer

Jet

VIP Member
What do you have know? If you have ribbon cables, are they restricting airflow enough to warrant a purchase like that? I personally have round IDE cables that I bought, but I don't know how much of a difference they make.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have the flat IDE ones at the moment, Nope, they aren't affecting air flow I just though they might look better and be easier to manage :p

kobaj

VIP Member
I prefer flat, call me crazy, but I think its better looking to fold them like voodoo does in their computers. Even when I have them dangling about I wouldnt say they affect airflow. Save the 7.99 and go buy something else aesthetic for your case. :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I supose, if they aren't stopping any air flow then there's no point... Hmmm... An exhaust fan for the back, that's what I need :p

PC eye

banned
I didn't see the Antec round cables at the vendor there. Unlike PC Toys and the make of the cables seen there the Antec round cables are not covered with the typical vinyl seen there but are a weaved thread design. The vinyl covered usually see more problems. I had one and one only for a floppy drive in the last case and simply tossed it along with some then iseless flat ribbon cables that had dried up.

The Antec cables I can take from one case to another and not have to worry. Those have proven themselves durable. Otherwise stick with the low ribbon type and keep a few spares around. Those will stiffen up and see problems soon enough on their own while saving the cash.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm not too sure what the Antec ones are coated in... I'm going to leave them as they are not restricting air flow or anything, I can spend the money on a new fan :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
I've got 2 on the side pannel, one CPU cooler and one on my GPU and one on my PSU, I'm going to get an exhaust fan to blow all the hot air out the back...

Some of them don't count, so Yeah, 3 :p

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah i would definatly get exhaust fan...ive felt the back of mine and they do kick out quite some heat from the system.

Mines 120mm at the back.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'd be getting a 80mm as I don't have room for 120mm or a 80 - 120 converot :(

Doesn't bother me that much though...
My PSU fan blows some air out, my temps aren't high (around 35c idle) I just think it may help.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
80mm should do fine too....you could always leave a few of those pci panels on your case off if you havnt already.

I have removed 2 of mine to allow more airflow to my graphics card....as i cant monitor the temps (My gfx card has no temp sensor:mad: )
but my system runs cool.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, It should be :)

I have a 80mm right under my GPU so it stays cool, I don't have a sensor either!

(I can't be bothered waiting 300 seconds to reply to your PM, catch you later some time :D)

PC eye

banned
I'd buy those in a heartbeat. I've always had problems with the flat vinyl cables cracking, especially at turns or folds.

Those are the flat ribbon cables seen in most systems. I grabbed a pair of Antec round cables for the last build and still have them in use now. They don't get stiff and brittle. If you have seen the wiring harness going out around the engine in an auto a look at the heavier cable coming from the alternator will give you an idea of what the Antecs look like with the braiding to some degree.

bldgengineer

Yeah, the power wire going to the alternator in most vehicles is usually 1/0 stranded copper with heavy insulation sometimes with a steel braiding in it. Of course vehicles with a smaller load will have a smaller gauge wire.

I have round cables now(can't remember which brand). They've last for over 5 years now when my flat ribbons would start causing problems after only 1.5-2yrs. They'll do the job but you gotta check them about once every 3 months and when they crack, replace them. Round ones, its more of a set it and forget it deal.

PC eye

banned
If you can visualize the insulation on the cable for an alternator that will give you the idea of what the insulation looks like on an Antec round cable. But there's no wire mesh involved there. The braiding has a criss cross of red lines on the otherwise black wrapping. This type of insulation makes the cable somewhat more firm but remains flexible at the same time. You simply can't bunch it up like a flat ribbon. But... plug'em in and forget them! They last much longer.