worth upgrading ram?

bratton

right now i have 1 gig. at most i run WoW, firefox, windows media player, and sort through large folders (1-5 gigs) simultaneously. im not too educated on how much ram programs use, though. so how much better off would i be with another gig of ram?

PC eye

banned
Are you running two 512mb dimms or a single 1gb? Even with XP and now Vista having a 2gb setup always helps to meet software demands along with seeing a smoother running system where there is extra memory available for larger apps and games alike. WMP loves to grab system resoutces especially if you have the screen saver set to run when playing any music files. A good pair of 1gb dimms would work.

But you are most likely going to add two more 512s if that's what you are running now. When upgrading the last case from 1gb to 2gb I put the matched pair of performance dimms aside for a new pair of 1gb Kingston dimms and have a better running system as a result. The 1gb of Corsair xms series performance memory was replaced by 2gb of Kingston Value Ram still used in the current build.

bratton

i have a single 1g stick of gskill to which id be adding another identical stick (although not sold in pairs, it is tested to be run in dual channel)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I think upgrading would be a good idea, especially if you'll get duel channel out of it. And with 2GB, you should be able to disable your swap file(I have done so with my system) and it does help out a good bit.

PC eye

banned
Make sure you order another GSkill of the same type identical to that and you notice an improvement in several things right away. Gee? with three versions of Windows and 2gb of memory here I still haven't found the need to disable the paging file. Different Asus board but same cpu here.