XP doesnt find Harddrive

Styleprojekt

So i am trying to install Windows XP Professional on my 2nd PC i just assembled. And i have Run the CD of the Western Digital Drive and intalled it. I then try to Run the XP CD and everything seems to be found except the Hard Drive itself. It says that it cant find it eventho the other CD etc has properly installed and prepared the Hard Disk for XP. All cables are correctly plugged in (obviously)....so what else could be the problem? I tried to find a setup option on my BIOS but couldnt find one. (its a Asus P5AD2 btw like mine)

Anybody have ANY idea please post....thanks

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Does that mobo have native sata support?
its a Asus P5AD2
925X, so it has native SATA, although it apparently doesn't matter. the drive is PATA then? Is it plugged into the Primary ATA133 connector or into the ITE8212F (red) ones?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
try putting the HDD on the Primary PATA channel (unless you are running a PATA RAID)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ya i figured a 925 board would have native sata but Ive been (unpleasently) surprised before :p

Styleprojekt

Ok, so i have switched the IDE cables.... and now when i try to install WIndows....i get a blue screen telling me that the PC is shutting down to save it from further damage. Last time i got a message like that was when my old PC was completely eaten up by Viruses.....that makes me very confident...i guess i'll just take it to a Compshop and pay their ass for getting that piece of shit running...man i hate when stuff like that happens....WTF makes Microsoft such a successful OS anyway??????????

I dont see why when everything is setup and connected like its supposed to (PC store confirmed that) that shitty OS because "couldnt find a hard drive"?

<<seS>>Saint

I was looking at your computer specs and are you installing the OS to your raptor HD. If you are you should have gotten a SATA floppy disk so your MOBO can reconize your HD its not the OS its the MOBO.

Styleprojekt

No that PC is complete and was done mostly by a friend. I am now building a second PC with the same MOBO and a Int. Western Digital 250GB Drive. I was thinking the same thing with the SATA, but i mean since there are IDE connectors why shouldnt they work? I would have to get a new Drive with SATA connectors......

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
<<seS>>Saint said:
I was looking at your computer specs and are you installing the OS to your raptor HD. If you are you should have gotten a SATA floppy disk so your MOBO can reconize your HD its not the OS its the MOBO.
the mobo can recognize a SATA drive without drivers, it's natively supported by the chipset so it's just like a PATA drive to the installer

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The board has native sata support so that wont be a problem

Have you checked with another HDD to see if this one works?
If yes, go to the BIOS menu and check if the HDD is detected. Remember that there is only one way to insert IDE cables :cool:

Styleprojekt

Well thats the whole problem. I connected an old HDD and it played windows 98 no problem.....the new harddrive is recognize so i really dont understand why Windows XP Professional gives me the message that it cant find a Harddrive....you think XP is messed up?

Styleprojekt said:
Well thats the whole problem. I connected an old HDD and it played windows 98 no problem.....the new harddrive is recognize so i really dont understand why Windows XP Professional gives me the message that it cant find a Harddrive....you think XP is messed up?

If you got it illegally, it might. You never know what people do with such files. Maybe XP does not have the drivers for your HDD :(

Styleprojekt

Well i purchased it on the net, it has a legal serial, stickers everything and was packed brand new, so i doubt that. But why shouldnt Xp have support for my drive...its a common WD 250GB nothing fancy or so....