Xp Install Problems On Single Sata Hd

The drive should have come with a driver floppy. I had same problem - on one of first few installation screens there is an option to install a separate SATA driver (think it says press F5 or something). Once this is done it is really easy

PC eye

banned
On some systems it would be F4 or F2 depending on make if not the Del key.
Apparently the Western Digital was an OEM that was ordered when he put the
case together. I verified the SATA 1 Primary slot for the cable when he asked
me to double check his assembly. The drivers had to be downloaded from WD
directly to prepare the floppy.

This is where the problem came in with more then one working floppy and the
repeat downloads from WD the XP installer still wouldn't take the drivers and
detect the drive. He was so frustrated he put the case aside for weeks while
insisting that the SATA and not any ide drive would be used. Finally a voice of
reason allowed the loan of a second drive here to verify that the cpu, board,
and all other hardwares were good. This one is a headache!

Rip_Uk

You have to format the drive in windows for it to show.

Start >> Settings >> control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management (On the left) >> Then create a partition.

You dont even need the drivers on the floppy.

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

If installing an Operating System on a Sata drive, just unplug the IDE Hard Drive until you get the OS installed. Then, be sure your BIOS setup Hard Drive Priority and Boot Order are set properly. Don't forget to download the Sata drivers and have them ready after you tap F6 when the OS load starts.

Post back with questions or concerns.

PC eye

banned
Update!

Problem with sata installation on permanent hold. However when installing a new sata here the option to format the floppy first with the board's cd while Windows was running proved far better. Upon initially using the utility found on the board's cd to create a driver disk when booting with that saw one driver unreadable driver error repeat itself the next step was to create the disk and use the software option to format the floppy rather then the simply right click on floppy drive Windows option. All drivers loaded immediately upon pressing the F6 option on the Asus board here seeing XP Pro go on the newly added 500gb sata.

But the owner now refuses to take the instructions in mind since getting accustomed to the ide drive originally loaned out to get the then new build running and check all new hardwares. The method here included pressing the enter key while the "hard drives" item was highlighted while in the bios. There you can use the + and - keys found on the Numpad on the right side of the keyboard to bring one drive to the top of the list. When exiting that menu the hard drives item is set to be first in the boot order. The sata drive then saw that Windows installation load up.

meanman

the sata drives on the floppy are for raid and not required for single drive, if the mobo supports sata 1 then make sure the hdd isnt sata11 if it is you might have to move the the little pin on the back of the drive to sata1, its always best to unplug any other hdd (ide) before you start installing windows,
when windows is installed use the mobo disk to install the rest of the mobo drivers .

PC eye

banned
The driver disk was made up using the Asus utility for the sata raid driver disk used for the onboard controllers by XP. On both cases the sata drive was the only one plugged in. On my friend's case there were no other drives. He wanted to run the WD 200gb drive there as a stand alone. When the board cd was booted from and used to create the disk then the first attempt at getting XP to fully load the drivers saw the error on one of them.

Later the option to format the floppy was used on the seoond attempt. The difference this time for this case not his was the cd was run in Windows to select the option highlighted in the screen shot seen here.

Upon rebooting with the installation disk and hitting the F6 key the drivers were loaded fully where the XP installer did see the new sata. Without them fully loaded as was seen on the other build the installer failed to see any drive. Since that time someone else's reluctance has hampered even finding out if he receved a bad drive or just needed a change in bios made.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If you install a W/D Sata 3.0 drive on a Sata 1.5 board you (have) to put a jumper on the 2nd set of pins from the left for it to run in 1.5

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm thinking of getting a SATA drive as oposed to another IDE drive to go with this MOBO: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3.

What advice or steps can you give me, how easy is it?

PC eye, I went into BIOS and selected the option "Configure SATA as IDE". I knew that would be the best option, I just went back in after the install and selected SMART SATA 3.0Gb/s or something like that. Try this, if possible, this was on my DG965WH board and WD 250Gb 16Mb SATA2

PC eye

banned
The problem now is with the owner and the reluctance to even plug in the 200gb sata drive in order to give some working ideas a go. I told him that all he had to do until the drive saw Windows running was simply unplug the ide drive loaner he's still running. There was a mood shift there somewhere since he originally wanted a sata only case. Recently when going through the options on the Asus board here besides boot device order you scroll down to hard drives and press enter to see that menu open.

Once the new sata was seen as the only drive with the others unplugged the installation went right on. There isn't an option for SMART Sata since SATA 2 is enabled by default as well as SATA 2 DMA Transfer. But this is the way Asus has it on the A8N-SLI model here. The pdf version of the manual is seen at http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI/e2068_a8n-sli.pdf

Gigabyte has their own settings on their models while non plug'n'play or the non-OS2 option is set when going to install Windows on an Asus board. Meanwhile the manual for the Gigabyte model Kornowski has mentioned is found in downloadable form at http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=17369

Once you review the download you should see the options on that model for setting a sata drive as the default or first in the boot order. Once you have the board installed in the new build it will be easier to follow the information seen in the manual since you have the actual bios staring back at you. You can easily browse through the different sections there and note the options. Once I have the other case setup with the sata there I can run right that bios fast enough. Until then it's upto the owner. The first thing you will need to start off with is a working floppy drive however to create the driver disk as soon as the new board comes in. In the meantime download a copy of the manual to be a little more familiar with the bios settings. The rest goes easy enough when you have a good disk and the settings correct. Windows will go on like you had an ide drive after the sata drivers are loaded.