XP Internet Security 2010 Malware: Got rid of it, but now can't download any programs

rip32raptors

What Happened

Got some malware virus thing that popped up with a security scan mimicking Windows Security Alerts, but somewhat different (in order for me to buy their software for like $50 - I believe this is called a ROGUE malware program).

I was unable to download MalwareBytes to get rid of this, so I took my computer to the IT at my school and they got it on there, but did not get rid of the malware. So, I decided to do a scan and it came up with 7 infections and I deleted them and restarted my computer, etc. and now it is gone (no more pop ups).

Now the problem is that I can't download anything from the internet, as I am trying to download AVG Free anti-virus to guard my computer from further attacks since my Norton has expired (I deleted both to try to reinstall AVG).

When I try to download things from the internet the following things happen (I'm using firefox):

virus1.png

Then, when I press Save File the following AUTOMATICALLY happens:

virus2.png

As you can see, there is a window ICON that should actually be the AVG Icon, and the download automatically cancels itself!

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated, thanks.

edit: When I continue the download it usually completes it, but nothing happens, the icon in picture 2 just leaves the download list window, and then I can't find it anywhere (it doesn't appear on desktop per usual)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a usb flash drive that you can use? If so, download combofix from a different computer and copy it to the flash drive. Then take it to the infected computer, boot to safe mode and run the file.

Download and Run ComboFix
If you already have Combofix, please delete this copy and download it again as it's being updated regularly.
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Combofix should never take more that 20 minutes including the reboot if malware is detected.
If it does, open Task Manager then Processes tab (press ctrl, alt and del at the same time) and end any processes of findstr, find, sed or swreg, then combofix should continue.
If that happened we want to know, and also what process you had to end.

In your next reply please post:
  • The ComboFix log
  • A fresh HiJackThis log
  • An update on how your computer is running