Your opinion :) - general ;)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey guys,

I am getting ... well ... sick of my old setup. It's quite fast but needs some fresh air. I have figured that going just for a new graphics card would not be the best solution. So I decided to go for these:

Socket 754 Sempron 2800+ (Planning to OC to 2.3Ghz)
MicroStar K8N Neo3-F - nForce4 4X
1024MB of DDR 400

What do you think?

JAN :D

4W4K3

VIP Member
well i wouldn't call a 2500+ "quite fast" but i see what you mean. it's not really outdated in what you use it for right?.

i always recommend going socket 939, jsut because thats my preference. the prices have dropped considerably now, and they are top performers.

if you're just looking for an upgrade, and not the latest speed demon, than i think what you sepc'd out is a great machine and easy on the wallet. a gig of RAM is safe and will be great for just about anything. its enough for even the biggest games in most cases. you'll want a new gfx card later of course...

as far as brands, i can't say i'd vote for microstar. i always go with the most reliable/well known brands liek abit or something. you'll need a second opinion for that decision.

ripken2004

definetly get a socket 939, only b/c all the good/new processors are going to be 939, if u wanted to do a future upgrade then you may not be able to get what you want, such as the dual cores that are beening handed out to the manufacturers tomorrow, also why a sempron?, get an althlon 64 if u can, how much money are you working with?

and use this site, reliable and cheap, u can bundle a cpu and mobo for cheap
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/bundle.hmx?

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Yeah

Getting a 939 socket mobo with the needed processor and so on would be pretty expenxive. That's why I was thinking about socket 754 and a Sempron. Yeah I am not a heavy gamer but do enjoy some Unreal Tournament 2004, the good old Unreal Tournament as well as some of the newer games such as HL2. The primary gaming load would be from my dad's flight sims which are killers when it comes to performance. I forgot to mention that I wanted to get a GAINWARD Geforce 6600 (PCI-E). Haha...and as for the PSU, I got plenty of power (550W). I bought the PSU seperatley.

I GOT APPROXIMATELY 350 USD AT MY DISPOSAL :)

Last edited:

NT61

banned
jancz3rt said:
Getting a 939 socket mobo with the needed processor and so on would be pretty expenxive. That's why I was thinking about socket 754 and a Sempron. Yeah I am not a heavy gamer but do enjoy some Unreal Tournament 2004, the good old Unreal Tournament as well as some of the newer games such as HL2. The primary gaming load would be from my dad's flight sims which are killers when it comes to performance. I forgot to mention that I wanted to get a GAINWARD Geforce 6600 (PCI-E). Haha...and as for the PSU, I got plenty of power (550W). I bought the PSU seperatley.

I GOT APPROXIMATELY 350 USD AT MY DISPOSAL :)

Personnaly, I'd got with Athlon 64 3200+ or higher. If you are a huge gamer and want also to play far cry, this comp will be the best!
I'm starting to apply for a job so I can buy a new comp with a 17' LCD monitor. All this for $1499.32

Greg J.

VIP Member
Quote: "I got plenty of power (550W)"

Okay, so I'm assuming that the PSU Rails are quality, efficient, and high power? Right? :confused:

NT61

banned
Greg J. said:
Quote: "I got plenty of power (550W)"

Okay, so I'm assuming that the PSU Rails are quality, efficient, and high power? Right? :confused:

Most likely.
Look, I want to buy a 450-650W PSU so I can base on what he tells. If he wants, he can use this one on his new comp

tweaker

VIP Member
jancz3rt said:
I forgot to mention that I wanted to get a GAINWARD Geforce 6600 (PCI-E)

Disappointed_anim.gif

6600GT
grinyes.gif

flame1117

banned
4W4K3 said:
well i wouldn't call a 2500+ "quite fast" but i see what you mean. it's not really outdated in what you use it for right?.

he did say 2800+

or did you mean "
Athlon XP 1800+ oc'd to 2500+
" from his sig? thats his current set-up, he wants to get a 2800+ and Oc.

4W4K3

VIP Member
flame1117 said:
he did say 2800+

or did you mean "
Athlon XP 1800+ oc'd to 2500+
" from his sig? thats his current set-up, he wants to get a 2800+ and Oc.

i was replying to whta he thought of his current setup.

the 2800+ is socket 754 64bit, should be loads faster, but not break the bank.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey guys. Now my PSU is not the greatest ( I know wattage is far from everyything!), but it's really stabel with virtually no fluctuations of valtages whatsoever. As to the graphics...I think that the 6600 is a decent card when considering its price/performance ration. I really do not have the bucks needed for a 6600GT or the 6800 even..... I would get the Sempron as well as a mobo and as well as the 6600 for the price of the 6600GT. I bet you would rather go for a full upgrade like me...rather then get a great card but keep the old components.