Your opinions on this card

kobaj

VIP Member
Yes, I dont have it rittin down but my whole rig is a emachine t2824 and I have about 50 to spend on ram. A little more a little less.

Bobo

banned
kobaj said:
Yes, I dont have it rittin down but my whole rig is a emachine t2824 and I have about 50 to spend on ram. A little more a little less.

Because your machine is OEM, when you fill up both RAM slots, it will be running at PC2100. (don't ask why, I really don't know, but it just happens) So here is a 512MB, and here is a 256MB. The only thing is that I don't know if it is safe to mix a 256MB with a 512MB. You can do it, and it might work, but then again, it might not. Just what you wanted to hear, right?:eek:

kobaj

VIP Member
? I aint mixing a 256 with a 512 I am combininbg two 256 to make 512. So the second stick I get is sopposed to be 2100 or 2700

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Get the 2700, usually you want to match the speed of the RAM you currently have. Even if you were mixing a 512MB stick with a 256MB stick it would be fine :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Because your machine is OEM, when you fill up both RAM slots, it will be running at PC2100.
Nope. That only happens if you have more than two slots.

The only thing is that I don't know if it is safe to mix a 256MB with a 512MB.
LOL of course it is

reggie_da_man

If you are starting to become a gamer your gonna have major lag with that ram ur best bet is two sticks of 256mb pc-3200(400mhz) minimum

Bobo

banned
Praetor said:
Nope. That only happens if you have more than two slots.

For the first time, Praetor, I must say that you are absolutely wrong:pMy computer (Compaq Presario Sr1010Z) has 2 slots, 2x256 DDR400, it runs at 333 speed

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Bobo said:
has 2 slots, 2x256 DDR400, it runs at 333 speed
Bobo said:
when you fill up both RAM slots, it will be running at PC2100
you have a bit of a discrephency here :). 333 isn't PC2100, its PC2700. Are you sure its the speed changing or is the speed set in the BIOS thus limiting it to PC2700 (some OEM BIOS' do let you select RAM speed)

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
you have a bit of a discrephency here :). 333 isn't PC2100, its PC2700. Are you sure its the speed changing or is the speed set in the BIOS thus limiting it to PC2700 (some OEM BIOS' do let you select RAM speed)

I was saying that my 400 is running at 333, and that his 333 might run at 266 if he fills up all the slots. And what BIOS? It is OEM, they don't let you do anything:mad:

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
I have a compaq beside me and I can tell it what base speed the RAM installed is

What model? Mine sure doesn't, only thing I can change in the BIOS is boot order, clock, etc.:mad:

kobaj

VIP Member
hehe I just got some 256 desktop 2700 ddr ram from pny technologies(tell me this is good ram)

Bobo

banned
Cromewell said:
It was bought after the merger if that's what you're asking, but it is branded compaq

OK, whatever, we better get back on topic now. All I was saying is that mine runs slower with both slots filled, and there is no BIOS option to change it

kobaj

VIP Member
Well I just tried halo with it, OMG this is the fastes its ever been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
K, whatever, we better get back on topic now. All I was saying is that mine runs slower with both slots filled, and there is no BIOS option to change it
So it runs slower than stock but you dont know what stock is.... :confused:

Well I just tried halo with it, OMG this is the fastes its ever been!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you enjoy :)