Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Headphones

• Other (specify)

• Total voters

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
A good quality stereo is more than enough. I guess the helicopter is present in almost all movies just to feel the surround effect. The surround sound could have a justification only if the screen also surrounds you.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah... when I fire up my 5.1's I dont notice nor care for the added channels much as either I'm listening to music about 15 feet away (or in a different room) or I'm playing a game and moving around way to fast to benifit from surround sound (or hell, have the sound off so i can either listen to music or concentrate on the game or something)

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I cant watch DVD movies without surround sound, I became hooked when I saw the movie "What Lies Beneath" on a surround sound sytem and you could hear these water droplets in the bath tub, it was so realistic the sound.
On my computer I have two crappy polk audio speakers which doesnt matter much since my computer is just about always on mute.

Grimulus

Let's clarify something. I have 6 speakers. :p not all of them work. when i tried to install my mixer and all that crap windows didn't seem to find my soundblaster Live!
So yeah, just 2 work at the moment.
It said something about my system not being able to find my soundblaster card. anyone have any ideas? I've looked everywhere but can't find an answer. :)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I found an easy way to test the quality of an audio system without any measuring instrument: just put on some harpsichord music.
The harpsichord has a large spectra of harmonics, and when some of them are missing or atenuated then it sounds quite awful (like driving nails in your ears :eek: ).
But when both the amplifier and the speaker have a (very close to) linear frequency response then the harpsichord-experience is amazing (almost like in live audition). :cool:

[tab]

[...]
Hmmm... sounds like a harpsichord in the Beatles "For No One", but I can't think of another single song that even remotely sounds like it has a harpsichord in it. How uncultured...

kb1ghc

I have 2 speakers with a subwoofer, sounds really good.

oh yeah, i have a pair of headphones too!

next speaker system: 7.1 surround

nomav6

I have 5.1 setup right now, but when I still lived at home, I had my comp. hooked up to a 1000w amp, running a 15" sub and two tens that set outside by the pool :cool: but when I was indoors, I just swapped it out with some realy bad polks

AainaalyaA

i have just invested in a philips sensurround theatre system ... no more arido tweeting and breaking the music waves... its good - and for $100/-, a steal!

now i can even hear the nasal tones of french singers, the crystal clear harp and gregorian chant without having to kill myself! I wanted an Onkyo, but.... I'd have to specially import it and since I'm dreaming for a lappy... that would have to wait :)

[tab]

[...]
I worked on a guys computer once... he had his computer running through a mixing desk into two huge amplifiers... hehe.

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
How about plugging the audio-out in this monster:

m200.jpg

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
That's correct. But a regular sound card's audio-out it's not exactly a pure sound. An ideal sound card would be built from tubes...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
They do have Tube based ASUS boards (or so some of my audiophille friends have told me ... i havnt validated nor cared to)

:)

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I saw that board (in pictures), but I don't think it could make a difference, since the sound source is digital. And for an audiophile analog rules. :cool:
A vynil record has much better sound than a CD, regardless of amplifiers. Only a DVD-Audio could come close to that sound...