z5300 vs home theater with more power

abenak07

would i be better off getting the z5300 for the THX or should i buy a home theater with more power and now the THX ? so really is the THX worth it ?

heyman421

banned
well.....

a home theater system will have the potential to sound a bit nicer.......

but unless you're going to use it strictly for music and movies, i'd get dedicated computer speakers.

the reason i say that is that computer speakers are set up a bit better for taking the abuse of low-quality system sounds/internet music, etc. Where there's a definite possibility of tearing up home theater speakers that are really only made to play back high quality cd's and dvd audio.

I had a yamaha home theater system hooked up to my computer for a while, and ended up selling it and getting a logitech 5500 instead, because the home theater speakers tended to make the lower quality system/internet sounds, etc. sound very bad, and the speakers would tend to distort and sound very raw. The logitechs don't sound QUITE as nice when watching movies, but they handle the less refined low-quality sounds much better, giving a better all around setup for workstation useage.

heyman421

banned
Also keep in mind that the only way to get surround sound from your computer is to use the dedicated 5/7/9 channel analog outputs from your sound card, which you wouldn't have if you used a home theater receiver.

You'd be able to use the SPDIF digital output for watching dvd's in surround sound, but anything else would only be 2 channel, regardless of how many channels your sound card is capable of.

abenak07

thank you i think im just going to go with some logitec speakers atleast the z5300e maybe something a lil better if i find a deal.

but is THX worth it ? i mean what is that ?

heyman421

banned
thx is just a benchmark created by lucasfilms to ensure that a sound system recreates the movie experience accurately, and to their requirements

it was initially developed as a set of benchmarks a movie theater's sound system would have to meet in order for them to be allowed to screen lucasfilms movies

it's not that simple, of course, the speakers still need to be placed correctly for them to create the surround sound experience accurately.

You could have a $5k sound system, and if you have the speakers installed all willy-nilly, it will sound no better than a $50 sound system that's installed properly.

heyman421

banned
ya, thx isn't a feature, it just means the company paid lucasfilm to 'approve' of the speaker setup to match it's requirements

just because a given sound system isn't thx certified doesn't mean it wont perform as well or better than one that isn't, it just means it wasn't specifically tested by lucas.