Zalman CNPS 9500 or 9700 ??

Pc_Pimp

Is the 9700 really worth the extra $10 or so? From what i have seen/heard it only cools about 2 degrees cooler.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say it is worth the price difference. The 9700 isn't much better than the 9500 and the Tuniq Tower 120 is better than both.

PC eye

banned
That depends mainly on the make(AMD-Intel) and model cpu you are trying to cool down. The CNPS9500 has done an excellent job for the Socket 939 model here. For an AM2 or C2 Intel model you would use the 9700 not the 9500. The price difference is mainly being seen due to the newer models it goes on. The latest always see a higher price then something for an older system generally. The Artic Cooling Freezer64 Pro is a lower favorite for many models as well.

Rambo

For an AM2 or C2 Intel model you would use the 9700 not the 9500.

By C2 I assume you mean Core 2 (Duo)? If so, why would it make more sense to purchase the 9700 over the 9500? The Core 2 Duo's consume 65w of power (much less that AMD's) and meaning it's cooler.

Anyway, I would go with the 9500. I also faced this problem, and the 9500 hasn't let me down one bit! :)

PC eye

banned
By C2 I assume you mean Core 2 (Duo)? If so, why would it make more sense to purchase the 9700 over the 9500? The Core 2 Duo's consume 65w of power (much less that AMD's) and meaning it's cooler.

When you pay a visit to coolerguys.com and look up the C2 catagory you won't find the 9500 in it. You have to go by the models recommended for the Core Duo or Core 2 Extreme and not 939 or P4 models.

the 9700 utilizes a bigger fan, the 9700 is 110mm fan while the 9500 has around 90mm

Actually the 9500 has a 92mm not 90mm fan on it. Several model coolers use the 92mm standard. The larger fan seen on the 9700 is due to the need to keep temps even lower on the newer model cpus. While the 939s max at 70C the newer AM2 and Core 2 models max at 60-65C. The newer they are the more temp sensitive they turn out to be.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
whatever it takes to squeeze out those few extra temps down.
The Tuniq Tower 120 is cheaper and better :)

But between the 9500 and 9700, I'd take the 9500. 3 degrees isn't worth the extra price (the 9700 also runs louder)

Archangel

VIP Member
While the 939s max at 70C the newer AM2 and Core 2 models max at 60-65C. The newer they are the more temp sensitive they turn out to be.

My 4800+ X2 939 stay's at 50*C full load (max heat test in Prime95 for 45 minutes) so I can say the 9500 is a really nice cooler. altough, I cant advice using the thermal paste that comes with it, I used the Zalman ZG STG 01 paste, and like said, it works great

Jet

VIP Member
With your 805, those extra few degress might be a life saver. Though that extra money could go to a better processor.

Rambo

Confused...

When you pay a visit to coolerguys.com and look up the C2 catagory you won't find the 9500 in it. You have to go by the models recommended for the Core Duo or Core 2 Extreme and not 939 or P4 models.

What? I don't understand... Are you saying that because the people at coolerguys.com use only the 9700 on C2's, that it makes more sense to purchase a 9700 for a C2? I'm confused...

PC eye

banned
My 4800+ X2 939 stay's at 50*C full load (max heat test in Prime95 for 45 minutes) so I can say the 9500 is a really nice cooler. altough, I cant advice using the thermal paste that comes with it, I used the Zalman ZG STG 01 paste, and like said, it works great

You are seeing 50C? I load the heck out of the 3500+ single core model to see it max at 40-43C tops when multitasking with video capturing, multimedia, and other things after literally running day and night. Have you tried Artic Silver 5 on it? I never use the cheap stuff that comes with any of them.

What? I don't understand... Are you saying that because the people at coolerguys.com use only the 9700 on C2's, that it makes more sense to purchase a 9700 for a C2? I'm confused...

When you click on the cooling link seen in the left column the various types of cpus are grouped together as you see from the image here. Once you make a selection you then see a new page open with the model best suited for the line you choose like for Socket 939 and Pentium D you may see the sa,e page open. The coolers there are compatible for those boards while AM2 and Core Duo boards have a different way of mounting the hsf on them.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You are seeing 50C? I load the heck out of the 3500+ single core model to see it max at 40-43C tops when multitasking with video capturing, multimedia, and other things after literally running day and night. Have you tried Artic Silver 5 on it? I never use the cheap stuff that comes with any of them.
The 4800+ runs hotter than the 3500+ (110W TDP vs 89W TDP iirc). The Zalman super grease is just as good as AS5 and you get a giant bottle of it instead of a little tube.

Rambo

When you click on the cooling link seen in the left column the various types of cpus are grouped together as you see from the image here. Once you make a selection you then see a new page open with the model best suited for the line you choose like for Socket 939 and Pentium D you may see the sa,e page open. The coolers there are compatible for those boards while AM2 and Core Duo boards have a different way of mounting the hsf on them.

Ok, firstly, I still don't understand what you mean. Whether or not the 9700 is designed to be used in conjunction with Core 2 Duo CPU's is beyond my knowledge (haven't read that anywhere), it still doesn't mean that he should choose the 9700 over the 9500. Unless I still don't understand what you're trying to say to me... :/

And secondly, can I ask why you have chosen that gold colour for your skin? :p

PC eye

banned
The X2 models obviously run a little warmer while the 50C is still on the high side since the load isn't quite as much as what is put on the system here unless you are ocing a little to account for it. As far as the change of the "3D objects" setting in the appearance>advanced section of the desktop properties it makes it a little easier to read. The light blues and greens tend to have a little too much glare.

For the light blue color, http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blueglarejn5.jpg

For the light green color, http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=greenglareps1.jpg

Besides the gold goes better with the desktop background. :p questions, questions, questions... When clicking on the "cooling" link seen at the vendor there you simply choose the type of hardware like cpu or hard drive. You'll note that the different cpu coolers fall under different cpu types. http://img457.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluedesktopic7.jpg

liquidshadow

So you're saying that the 9500 won't work on C2D models? No offense, but you have no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't matter what www.coolerguys.com says; you act like they're omniscient or something :rolleyes: