ZoneAlarm Free - v - Sygate Personal Pro

Casselle

Hi Everyone, A computer engineer recently recommended Sygate Personal Pro firewall to me. I had the free version of ZoneAlarm installed.

Does anyone have any experience with Sygate and know whether it is a better firewall?

hermeslyre

VIP Member
I have some experience, as I've tried most of the free security related software out there. :cool: Sygate has a very nice UI, it's not cluttered, and best of all It's pretty light on the resources. BUT, from my knowledge on the subject, it was bought by symantec and they discontinued updating the free version. That means it's two years behind the bend, not a good thing. Keep zonelalarm, and if you want even better protection, get a hardware firewall like those built into most routers, they prove to be the best firewalls available, not in little part because of the functionality of a Router. :)

Edit: AHH! I realize now you we're referring to the paid version, ALA the updated version. Nevertheless my opinion remains the same, no software firewall can stand up to the protection provided by a router and the hardware firewall included.

Last edited:

Casselle

Zonealarm Free -v- Sygate Personal Pro

Many thanks for your replies. I think the Zoom Router ADSL X6 has a Firewall included?

Can I just clarify - in addition to the router firewall, you would recommend ZoneAlarm in preference to Sygate?

Also, the engineer enabled Virtual Server/DMZ on my Router for increased traffic flow - I'm not sure why this would be needed, but am concerned it may increase the risk of infection from viruses, etc. What are the advantages of having it switched on? Would you recommend I untick 'enabled'?

tremmor

I highly recommend Sygate Professional. theres not much to a firewall to update. it also supports whois and trace besides many other features. When symantec norton bought it they never did support it that i know of. the pro is far better than the free ver. my guess is they wanted some of the features that it has.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Your router has firewall/NAT support, no worries there. As such, it's not even prudent to keep a software firewall, the routers SPI and NAT capabilities are top notch, it doesn't really need "backup". I'm using a BEFSX41 router over here, and have decided to disable Comodo, my software firewall.

It looks like virtual server is the option of port forwarding on that router. You say he enabled it, did he open certain ports as well? He could've simply been Port forwarding a couple programs, though i'd really suggest you make sure he opened ports that are needed open for your programs.

Paid for for software is almost always better than free varients. :p But with the OP's hardware firewall, I really can't see myself recommended him to pay for something he already has.

tremmor

I agree.....it depends on how much security ya want. then again i never did buy nothing. I don't do internet much anymore except when im shopping or posting at a forum. i do newsgroup/binaries only and use a whip asss client Newsleecher.

cheers