Zonealarm problem

Hey guys, quick question.
Does Zonealarm free version firewall usually cripple windows xp home?
I just installed it(just uninstalled too) and here's what it did:
-Disabled clipboard
-Disabled my permission to start processes while in task manager
-Screwed up my task bar so that I now have to right-click on it and enable(then disable) the quick launch bar just to view it.
-Disabled my Windows key on my keyboard
-Windows now has no sound
-Windows now takes 1-2 minutes to load up
-Can't view more than one window at a time(others vanish until switched to)
-Cannot view properties of things in control panel(i.e. drivers, services)

Can anyone help me out here? I'm very puzzled by this cause I thought zonealarm was supposed to be a good firewall(was gonna have it run side by side with sygate).
Any help is appreciated as I do not want to re-install windows again.

underworld288 said:
i dont think that zonealarm did this to your computer, but i dont know what did.

Well I do. It happened right when I installed zonealarm(and I did have sygate running at the time of installation). As soon as it asked me to restart, I said yes. After restarting, the problems started, first with windows taking way too long to load, then all the other crap(and only zonealarm would start up at first). So, in conclusion, zonealarm did this to my computer.

underworld288 said:
ok, well try to uninstall sygate (just have zonealarm installed).

How exactly would that help me with my problem? Sygate is the one that works fine, and didn't mess up my comp. I really don't trust zonealarm right now. I'm not looking for a firewall fix right now, just a fix for windows. I can fix the firewall anytime I want.

Ok, my hijack this log file is clean, I have no viruses(scanned with avg free with latest update(updated before scanning)), no adware/malware/trojans(scanned with spybot s&d with latest updates and lavasoft ad-aware se with latest updates). So the damage wasn't done by any of those things.

Which makes me even more convinced that I got a bad download from the PC World website.

I would really like to know how to restore all settings to the way they're supposed to be(i.e. all crucial windows processes running).

Before the zonealarm install initiated, the comp told me that I don't have administrative rights, yet I am on my administrator account(have no others, besides the hidden built in one windows creates(Administrator)).

m0nk3ys1ms

New_compforum_user said:
To get to that, I have to restart my computer with the windows cd in, right?

correct. and when the cd loads i think you press R (it will say on the screen) and it will do the repair.

I did that and now all I get is the BSOD after the repair installation. Even when trying to go into safe mode. Is there some sort of work-around to the BSOD?

cell4me

banned
Do you have a restore point on your PC? Just do a system restore to a day before you installed zonealarm. For future reference you do not need two firewalls if you have sygate and it was working thats all you need! A firewall does one thing block open ports, thats all, two firewalls does not double your protection and in fact it may have caused incompatibility issues. Some computers just have issues with some programs, I bought ZA pro and tried installing it on my new computer and it was causing all kinds of problems but I installed it on my moms and it workd fine...GO FIGURE!

cell4me said:
Do you have a restore point on your PC? Just do a system restore to a day before you installed zonealarm. For future reference you do not need two firewalls if you have sygate and it was working thats all you need! A firewall does one thing block open ports, thats all, two firewalls does not double your protection and in fact it may have caused incompatibility issues. Some computers just have issues with some programs, I bought ZA pro and tried installing it on my new computer and it was causing all kinds of problems but I installed it on my moms and it workd fine...GO FIGURE!

You really should read all posts before replying. When someone has a BSOD problem and cannot enter windows, even in safe mode, it is impossible to do a system restore.

I did a full re-install of windows after two failed repairs and am now working fine. I tell ya though, never download from http://www.pcworld.com, even the sygate personal firewall pro trial that I downloaded from them(wanted to try pro, instead of regular) caused problems. I think they purposely put malicious code in their downloads.

drumking1088

New_compforum_user said:
Hey guys, quick question.
Does Zonealarm free version firewall usually cripple windows xp home?
I just installed it(just uninstalled too) and here's what it did:
-Disabled clipboard
-Disabled my permission to start processes while in task manager
-Screwed up my task bar so that I now have to right-click on it and enable(then disable) the quick launch bar just to view it.
-Disabled my Windows key on my keyboard
-Windows now has no sound
-Windows now takes 1-2 minutes to load up
-Can't view more than one window at a time(others vanish until switched to)
-Cannot view properties of things in control panel(i.e. drivers, services)

Can anyone help me out here? I'm very puzzled by this cause I thought zonealarm was supposed to be a good firewall(was gonna have it run side by side with sygate).
Any help is appreciated as I do not want to re-install windows again.

Sounds dodgy but its never done that to me. One suggestion that I can think of is to check where you downloaded the program from-the biggest mistake is to download the program from a dl site, which ISNT rated-but if that isnt any help, then i dunno-sorry.