Help for choosing a laptop

edoup

Hi, thank you in advance for anyone who will help me.

My situation : I'm tired of my laptop. It's the HP dw-3017ca, intel i5-1135g7 and Iris Xe. I only play two games with it, Minecraft and Fortnite, but 30fps that drop to 20 while in the bus is unplayable. I've tried almost everything : deleting all unnecessary software, upgrading ram from 8 to 12 gb, playing in the lowest settings 720p, performance mode, installed latest drivers, try finding issues with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool, playing with my phone's 5g hotspot, nothing can give me playable fps in fortnite (minecraft can give me 100fps, so it's not a problem), and the only thing I didn't try was overclocking.

What I want : I want a laptop that can give me around 75-100 constant fps in fortnite. I don't need higher, because my screen is only 100hz. Because i'm only 14yo, I will use that computer for school, so I need it to have >6 hours of battery life while web browsing, and I don't want it to be too heavy. I don't need to have epic graphism, medium-low at 80 fps would be a REALLY good improvement. I want it to be as cheap as possible, while giving me those specs (I don't want a 1000$ computer, but neither a 200$).

Other specs about the laptop : I don't care about the brand of the cpu/gpu/laptop, as long as the performances are there, i'll be happy. Upgrading ram after buying the laptop isn't a problem, so it can be 8gb when buying. I prefer buying on Staples, Best Buy, and perhaps Amazon, but I don't want it to be on other sites such as aliexpress. I don't care if the cover is plastic or metal, if there is any rgb, if the refresh rate of the screen is 60hz(because I play on my other display. If the computer is open box/refurbished, I can take it but only if it's from Best Buy (I prefer don't buy refurbished at other places).

To sum up, I want a cheap computer that can give me fluid 75-100 fps in Fortnite, that has a lot of battery and not overwighted. But please, don't give me another Iris Xe

Ps: My Pixel 7a get a fluid 60fps on fornite, should I buy an xbox controller and a usb to hdmi cable to play Fortnite on my screen with my phone as the "brain" instead of buying a new computer?

beers

Staff member
Howdy,

The laptop you have includes integrated graphics, not too capable. You'd probably exceed your budget by a lot with another laptop that has a reasonable dedicated graphics module as you don't really start picking up performance until the $700-800 mark in my opinion.

You could probably 'get away with' a 4050 tier of GPU per this link it looks like it avg/min's around 90/60 in this video on epic @ 1080p, although the prices are still up around that same level.

edoup

Howdy,

The laptop you have includes integrated graphics, not too capable. You'd probably exceed your budget by a lot with another laptop that has a reasonable dedicated graphics module as you don't really start picking up performance until the $700-800 mark in my opinion.

You could probably 'get away with' a 4050 tier of GPU per this link it looks like it avg/min's around 90/60 in this video on epic @ 1080p, although the prices are still up around that same level.
Thank you so much for answering. I'll have a look at that