2GB RAM at 667MHz > or < 1GB RAM at 800MHz

Dirtmuncher111

im wandering this because even though if you look at todays games and look at their recommended memory and itll say 1GB, i want to know if 1GB at 800MHz will be enough. im hopefully getting an alienware and it has a good graphics card with it and everything but im not sure about the ram is only 1GB and im trying to keep from upgrading anything for now. also it comes with an 'AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 5200+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology' as the processor, will this be sufficient to game with?

Last edited:

chupacabra

Well depending on the brand, but if it's decent then 2gb of 667, if it's a no brand ram then 1gb of good brand

nexolus

I've actually wondered this as well. What about 2GB of High Performance 667MHz RAM vs 1GB of High Performance 800MHz RAM?

K3rupt

As Chupacabra said, The speed difference isn that great.

With me running vista, my computer uses about 1.4-1.7 Gig of ram while i game, So 1GB Just wouldn cut it for me. . .

I would go the 2GB Ram.

As for your Processor question, That will be quite fine for gaming.

BUT, it is your graphics processing unit that will actually be doing most of the video reproduction.

So i would opt for a great Graphics card and good CPU, not the other way round.

But by the sounds of it, you have the best of both worlds.

tommy25

2gb, k3rupt said his computer uses over a gig when gaming. So does mine and i assume a lot of other peoples do.

paratwa

[-0MEGA-];808469 said:
2GB would be better, especially in Vista.

Agreed. Vista is such a ram hog that you have to have at least 2 gigs of ram. Anything else and your system will run slow.

Dirtmuncher111

Alright so 2GB at 667MHz is better. Do yall think that 1GB at 800MHz is ok though? Im really trying not to spend any more money than its at right now, and if its where with 1GB at 800MHz itll be 'fine but not as good as it could be' then im fine with that.

Dirtmuncher111

Hrm, if i want to upgrade from 1GB at 800MHz to 2GB at 800MHz (there is no 2GB at 667MHz option) it says itll be an extra $100. Would this be worth it?