5870 1gb to 6950/6970 2gb is it worth it?

lubo4444

Hey guys,

Is it worth upgrading from 5870 1gb to 6950/6970 2gb? Any opinions on that? Any pros and cons will be appreciated as well.

Some info on what i have and what i'm going to do with the PC:

- Monitor resolution 1920 x 1080
- Only one monitor. I'm not going to connect multiple monitors. Although i will connect my TV to the PC to watch movies on HD. (not sure if that's considered monitor lol)
- I'll be doing a lot of gaming.
- Also i'll be doing a lot of editing as well.

Thanks.

claptonman

Are you having any trouble playing games? You could probably sell the 5870 for a decent price. Put it up on this forum's for sale thread and see how much you can get for it. If you can get a decent price, I'd think it'd be worth it.

lubo4444

Are you having any trouble playing games? You could probably sell the 5870 for a decent price. Put it up on this forum's for sale thread and see how much you can get for it. If you can get a decent price, I'd think it'd be worth it.

Nope, no trouble at all. Everything is running really smooth in every game i play. I was thinking of posting it up for sale but right now i want to see some opinions before i make my decision. :)

salvage-this

Don't sell it. The 5870 is still a fully capable card. If you are not in need of more graphics power then don't upgrade.

accessoriesguy

Don't sell it. The 5870 is still a fully capable card. If you are not in need of more graphics power then don't upgrade.

The only problem with waiting is that it will not be fully capable and then nobody wants to buy them. It costs money to keep up and it will cost you money to not keep up. That's computers for you!

salvage-this

True. But take it this way...

If you bought the card for $300 when it came out. After a year you tried to sell it. There is one on the forum now that is not selling at $200 now. So Lets say that you do get it sold for $180. The $180 goes to a new card. Lets say a 6970 for $350 so that brings it down to $170. You are paying $170 to play games maxed when your previous generation top of the line card will still play them just fine (+60)

So if you are the type of person that does not need bleeding edge hardware, I see better to use a card for a few years and then make a bigger upgrade when you need the extra power. Heck my 4850 is still maxes games out. I just upgraded because I had a bonus at work and decided to do an early birthday present to myself :D

Last edited:

lubo4444

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-6950-6970-review/22

Looks like an extra 10-20fps from the 5850 to the 6970. I would guess that the 5870 would be an extra 5-15fps? I guess I can't find any concrete answers. :/

Thanks.

Last question, is there a big difference between the 68xx series and the 69xx series? Just looking at my options at the moment and want to see if is worth replacing my current card or not. Thank you.

mihir

VIP Member
Thanks.

Last question, is there a big difference between the 68xx series and the 69xx series? Just looking at my options at the moment and want to see if is worth replacing my current card or not. Thank you.

The HD6950 is way better than the HD6870.

But with an HD5870 you can easily afford to wait for the next GPU series.
I would suggest against upgrading and waiting for the next GPU series,because even if it is not all that impressive you can always get the previous generation cards for cheap then.

lubo4444

The HD6950 is way better than the HD6870.

But with an HD5870 you can easily afford to wait for the next GPU series.
I would suggest against upgrading and waiting for the next GPU series,because even if it is not all that impressive you can always get the previous generation cards for cheap then.

This is actually true. I'll probably stick with my current card and wait to see what does the new generation have to offer. Thank you. :)