667mhz ram running at 315mhz

Hass

So after 2-3 years of running my computer... I'm looking around in everest and I notice, it says my RAM is running 333Mhz.
I'm like, well that's odd.
So I check cpuZ, and it's showing 315.1Mhz

The ram I am running, is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231055

During POST, it shows 2048MB of DDR 677Mhz.

They are running in Dual channel.

I checked BIOS, and went in and changed the Memory setting from Auto, to 667Mhz.
Still, no difference shown by CPU-z

So, is this correct?
Orrr do I have some tooling around to do? (and some head bashing, realizing my computer hasn't been running to it's full potential for years!)

MB:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...14R&cm_re=asus_m2n-pv-_-13-131-014R-_-Product

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
DDR stands for DUAL DATA RATE, meaning that it transfers data twice each clock tick. Therefore, the effective speed is double the actual clockspeed, i.e. DDRn RAM running at 333MHz will have an effective transfer speed of 666MHz.

Sometimes the effective speed is shown as MTs (megatransfers per second) isntead of MHz, since the effective speed is diferent from the actual clock speed.

And no, dual-channel doesn't have anything to do with this. DDR2-800 runs at 400MHz (800MTs effective) regardless of whether it's single- dual- or octa-channel or any number of channels you care to come up with.

EDIT: So yes, the speeds you're getting are perfectly normal and fine.

2048Megabytes

And here is a small explanation about dual-channel RAM:

Single-channel RAM transfers data to the processor in a 64-bit path. Dual-channel RAM transfers data to the central processing unit in a 128-bit path.

Cleric7x9

^^ Im suprised cleric didnt know that

lol idk if you were being sarcastic, but i did know that. unfortunately, the 1st response to the OP had nothing to do with DDR, he thought that clock speed was doubled as a result of dual channel. dual channel is not the same thing as double data rate, hence dual channel is not the reason for his 667mhz memory showing up as 315mhz, but unfortunately i took the low road and didnt answer the OP's question, instead i made a jab at the 1st response.

Cleric7x9

DDR stands for DUAL DATA RATE, meaning that it transfers data twice each clock tick. Therefore, the effective speed is double the actual clockspeed, i.e. DDRn RAM running at 333MHz will have an effective transfer speed of 666MHz.

Sometimes the effective speed is shown as MTs (megatransfers per second) isntead of MHz, since the effective speed is diferent from the actual clock speed.

And no, dual-channel doesn't have anything to do with this. DDR2-800 runs at 400MHz (800MTs effective) regardless of whether it's single- dual- or octa-channel or any number of channels you care to come up with.

EDIT: So yes, the speeds you're getting are perfectly normal and fine.

DDR actually stands for DOUBLE data rate, good explanation otherwise though

TFT

VIP Member
True, what does it matter, I've always known it as TAMDR

Twice As Much Data Rate :D