$68 1TB Internal Hard Drive

compp

banned
Saw that HITACHI Deskstar 1TB Internal Hard Drive OEM is $68 TODAY FROM 1:00PM PT to 11:59PT at newegg..

What comments do you guys have about Hitachi and this particular hard drive? At such a great price I might have to sway from Western Digital just this once.

Last edited:

Springy182

Hitachi Deathstar is more like it.

Hitachi is cheap, slower than any other major brand, and rather unreliable, barely better than Maxtor, might I add their tech support is one of the poorest I've come across apart from Linksys?

Seagate is better than Hitachi, and they're not even as good as WD or even Samsung. Hard-drives are not something to skimp on unless anything you put on there you can live without.

Nightrain

Wow, interesting to see people still stuck in the deathstar days.

Hitachi drives are fine. Every brand has had its ups and downs, but essentially all even out to about the same quality/longevity/reliability.

I generally go by whatever has the better warranty period, except for my server, where cooler, quieter drives make up for losing a year or two in warranty. Or if something has a really good sale. ;)

Quiltface

I had a company laptop and the hard drive crashed after about 8 months of use... completely useless... the replace hard drive since it was under warranty lasted about 3 weeks. both were hitachi.

Springy182

Wow, interesting to see people still stuck in the deathstar days.

Hitachi drives are fine. Every brand has had its ups and downs, but essentially all even out to about the same quality/longevity/reliability.

I generally go by whatever has the better warranty period, except for my server, where cooler, quieter drives make up for losing a year or two in warranty. Or if something has a really good sale. ;)

I've had a Hitachi 1TB that bricked within a week of purchase, a pair of 250GB externals I got cheap that turned out to be Hitachi, they died within ~3 months after I got them, I've got several dead <40GB Hitachi drives from dumpster finds, in short, I've -never- had a good experience with Hitachi. Ever.

Last edited:

Drenlin

IIRC, Samsung currently has the cheapest reliable 1TB drive. If you're looking for a good price, that's it. It's a fast sucker too...

Springy182

IIRC, Samsung currently has the cheapest reliable 1TB drive. If you're looking for a good price, that's it. It's a fast sucker too...

I've got the Samsung HD103UJ, I traded for it with a friend, I've had it almost a year and he had it a year before that, it's been reliable for me, and he swears by Samsung having several 1TB drives from them. And yeah it's about as fast as my Barracuda 11 drives in HDTach.

My order of preference would have to be

WD > Samsung > Seagate > cheap brands like Hitachi/Fujitsu/etc..

Aastii

VIP Member
My main drive is, and has been for the last 2 years, the same Hitatchi drive. No, it wasn't out of choice, I didn't buy the drive, if I had the choice I'd have gone WD, BUT never have I had a problem with it. It just about certainly isn't as quick as it's WD, Seagate or Samsung counterpart, but it has never given me a problem, is quiet and is fast enough to play any game out now with pretty decent load times.

Maybe you got very unlucky, or I got lucky, but they certainl'y aren't a horrific brand of drives from my personal experience

spynoodle

They are all sold out now anyway.
I don't think I would've gotten it anyway. If I have a choice on what hard drive I get, I chose WD. I have a Hitachi in my Dell laptop, though, and I got it used on Ebay. It's most likely from the '05 era, since it's got a Pentium M, and the Hard Drive's still fine. I base that on total luck, though. ;)