802.11n router, 802.11g card

Impulse666

A friend of mine needs the signal in his house extended. Obviously there are two options: Range extenders, and draft-n. He has G cards in all his machines (6), and to upgrade all of them would be too costly. Would the draft-n router help with his range connectivity issues? It would broadcast 802.11g, but would it be stronger with the n-compatible router?

If that wont work any recommendations on range extenders?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'd look at amplified routers or new antenna's rather than draft-N equipment. I'm not sure how it'd work with G equipment. I know it would work, but I'm not sure how the range would be in comparison.

I have a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 and it's range is quite impressive with the standard antenna.

brian

VIP Member
no, n uses mimo (multiple input multiple output) to increase speed and range as well as broadcasting in the 5GHz range. however is the card is g it will still just use the g wireless... If he has a linksys router, i would suggest putting dd-wrt firmware on it. BUT MAKE SURE IT IS COMPADABLE!!!! there is a list on the site www.dd-wrt.com and make sure it does... with it, you are able to increase the broadcast power and make the signal better... also by putting it on a different channel may help...

Last edited: