88 file destination exceeds 88 characters?

dustman

Hello,

I have run into a problem, and I find many other people on the net with the very same problem but none of the suggested solutions work.

I got a used computer the other day, it has a fresh install of Windows XP-Pro, and I am setting up drivers. Most of them are ATI. I went to the manufacturers website, downloaded and extracted all to my documents.

Every time I try to install a driver (VGA, SM Bus, or PCI simple controller), I click on set.up or install, whichever option is offered, and I get the same error message: cannot proceed the file name and destination path exceeds 88 characters.

I have tried to manually install the drivers by going to device manager, clicking on the yellow question mark next to one of the items mentioned above, click "update driver", direct it to the location of the file, but as soon as I click to install it only offers me run. I click run, and there is the same error message about the 88 characters.

So, I have the correct drivers downloaded and extracted onto my computer, but I can't install them for the life of me.

How do I fix this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustman

Nanobyte

I googled the problem and found a number of solutions. The simplest to try is "You need to move the downloaded folder up closer to the c: drive. The problem is the downloaded folder your trying to run, is buried within to many other folders".

That is basically saying that the filepath is apparently included in the name. I guess it can be on any drive as long as you are closer to the root. Give it a try.

dustman

Thanks so much Nanobyte!

I was able to use your suggestion to get 2 of the drivers on, and I really appreciate it!

The only thing I have left is the dreaded PCI simple communications controller. Still a big yellow question mark on that one. That one always seems to be a real headache for everybody!

Thanks again,

Dustman