8800 GT question

billywilly92

Not sure if I posted this in the right spot but I'll just put it here. Ok so I want to upgrade my computer which i got about one year ago so I thought it is time to upgrade. I want to get a new video card and processor. I had someone at a local gaming place build it for me. The stuff it has in it are

- ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
- EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS video card
- AMD Athlon 64 processor
- 2 gigs of ram
- I'm not sure about the power supply

So I think I want to get the AMD Athlon 64x2 processor and I was thinking about getting either an 8800GT or a 8600 GT/GTS cause there is a combo deal with the processor and the 8600. So what do you guys think would be the best out of the two or if there is a better processor or video card? Also what about getting two video cards and what is SLI because I know my motherboard supports it but I don't know what it is?

Thanks

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
So what does that have to do with an 8800GT? Is that what you are considering to get?

We need more information, we don't know anything about your computer so how could we suggest a faster processor, or a video card that is compatible with your motherboard?

vonfeldt7

Soo...what exactly is your question? Are you looking for someone to suggest a certain GPU/CPU...or...what..? (and if so, then we need to know your mobo).

*EDIT* I guess OMEGA beat me to it...

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Are you stuck to nvidia, would you consider ati?

What cpu is it? the 8800GT has a HUGE advantage over a 8600

billywilly92

ThatGuy16 I like Nvidia a lot better than ATI because I have had problems with ATI before. For the CPU socket thing the one I have is 939 which will work with the AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
A 8800GT is alot better than a 8600gts, however any dual core cpu on the socket 939 platform is going to be a bottleneck. But it will still certainly be an upgrade.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
A 8800GT is alot better than a 8600gts, however any dual core cpu on the socket 939 platform is going to be a bottleneck. But it will still certainly be an upgrade.

S939 doesn't bottleneck processors, if that's what you meant, which you might not have. A 3800+ on AM2 will perform exactly the same on 939. AM2 wasn't even an upgrade, it was just created to extend support to Ddr2.

I dunno the fastest Dual core CPU on 939 though, like an Opteron 185? 2.6ghz ain't that bad. Add in overclcoking and you're set for awhile. My 3800 (939) can OC to 2.8.. Not as godly as your OC though... :eek:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
S939 doesn't bottleneck processors, if that's what you meant, which you might not have. A 3800+ on AM2 will perform exactly the same on 939. AM2 wasn't even an upgrade, it was just created to extend support to Ddr2.

I dunno the fastest Dual core CPU on 939 though, like an Opteron 185? 2.6ghz ain't that bad. Add in overclcoking and you're set for awhile. My 3800 (939) can OC to 2.8.. Not as godly as your OC though... :eek:

Any CPU for a 939 is going to be a bottleneck, it doesn't mean a 3700+ isn't the same at a 3700+ AM2. It means that higher end cpu's such as the 5600/6000/6400 isn't available on socket 939. Right now i think the best you can get on 939 is a x2 4200+ or x2 4400+ ;)

billywilly92

Thanks for the quick replies but if it does bottleneck is that bad. Also I was thinking about getting the 6400 amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor, would that still work with the 8800 GT. What about having two video cards, is that good?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
It will work, the 5xxx series are only on the AM2 platform. So your buying a motherboard?

For SLI you would want something no less than a 5200+, but as of now any AMD cpu out there is a bottleneck on SLI or Crossfire settups (two video cards). If you really plan on SLI i would recommend a 680i motherboard paird with a E6850, or Q6600. Dual video cards really like alot of cpu power :)

hermeslyre

VIP Member
Any CPU for a 939 is going to be a bottleneck, it doesn't mean a 3700+ isn't the same at a 3700+ AM2. It means that higher end cpu's such as the 5600/6000/6400 isn't available on socket 939. Right now i think the best you can get on 939 is a x2 4200+ or x2 4400+ ;)

Higher end-shmigher end. The 185 is the same chip as yours, just rebadged, undervolted and underclocked, for stability. Overclock that thing and boom, no bottleneck. Without OC'ing.. you're probably right.

OP: Yeah, you'll need a new motherboard and then RAM to support that chip. I personally wouldn't go SLI. The performance gain is very small at times..

billywilly92

I didn't even think of to look into the sockets. So I think that the 680i would be good but I would rather get an AMD processor than a Intel.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
ok, if you want SLI get a nforce 590 board as it will run SLI at x16/x16 speeds. The quad core phenom AMDs are out, not sure if its out of your budget though.

billywilly92

So now I don't think that I want SLI. I know I want the 8800 GT but now that I have to get a new motherboard for the processor I want I'm not sure which ones I would want to get. I would prefer AMD for the processor but the motherboard doesn't matter.

Iluvpenguins

Try X2 4800+

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
x2 4800+ would still be a slight bottleneck. Regardless its a great upgrade :)

were exactly do they sell a 939 x2 4800?