8800GT and my setup...

mat2317

I just purchased a 8800GT :D BUT i'm wondering if my current system will be bottlenecking at all? Check my sig for my system. I also have a 600W Seasonic PSU, I persume this will be fine?

Cheers for your help.

Matt :D

mat2317

Hmm bummer My mobo is a bit crap so I cant install a core 2 duo, But Hopefully I can upgrade in January.. Will it actually be a huge draw back?

XxIlluminatorxX

yes it is, you will see lag, I asked the forums the same question today because I installed my newly bought 8800GT yesterday and it was lagging occasionally when it is able to play crysis on very high detail levels on benchmarks

XxIlluminatorxX

look here im disapointed too, now I cant get my new monitor, now I need to get a nice case with lots of cooling so I can overclock my cpu very high until I can get a nice big upgrade

XxIlluminatorxX

what I know is that it takes a highly overclocked e6850 to not bottleneck an 8800 Ultra, so just go by that, the bottleneck might be small but everything bottlenecks unless you have the "newest stuff"

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Your RAM might also be a bit of a bottleneck. If you want to compliment that 8800GT, I'd look at getting at least moderate latency DDR2 800 RAM (in dual-channel for best performance), and a Core 2 series proc. Not necessary to upgrade, but if you're looking for something to match and maximize your performance gain, I'd recommend RAM over processor, but both are going to bottleneck. Those three (RAM, GPU, CPU) tend to go together when you're talking about performance gain; if you want to get the most out of one of them, you want an equivilent generation of the other two.

Kesava

hold on.

will i experience performance loss because the cpu adn ram are not powerful enough to keep up with the GT?

or is it just that the GT wont be running as best it can?

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Okay, sorry; I explained that poorly. The video card will still perform the same, however the video games that will take advantage of the 8800GT (I assume that the GT is a large upgrade for you) will require more CPU and RAM speed, and in those games they are the bottleneck. Your CPU and RAM will still perform the same; the 8800 wouldn't slow them down or anything.

Kesava

i dont mean will they slow down my cpu and ram lol.

so basically my graphics card isnt gonna be under performing.... its just that the cpu and ram may not be good enough to play some games?

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Exactly. Taking an old machine and putting a top-of-the-line video card on it will give you the ability to display really shiny graphics, but graphics aren't all that's going on in the game. The video card may be up to the task, but the RAM and the CPU might not. No matter how amazing your video card, you're not going to be able to play Crysis on highest settings if you're using a 3000+ AMD processor. ;p

Kesava

lol i wont play crysis.

what about games like cod4?

would it handle that on highest?

(by "it" i mean my whole system not just the card")

NeuromancerWGDD'U

As far as I can tell, yes (by the way, I was reading the wrong sig for the CPU; yours should be fine). It might not be the fastest, but it should be able to handle it just fine. If you do see some performance issues, I'd look at the RAM first, but I don't think you will.

Kesava

ok well in may i reckon ill go 2 gb ram and a new mobo and q6600.
maybe. so then i should be all good :D

NeuromancerWGDD'U

Yeah, at that point you'd only have problems playing Crysis on highest.

Mmmm....If I weren't moving in may, I'd actually be getting a QX9650, eight gigs of RAM, and an 8800GTS (superclocked, of course). *sigh* If I didn't like sleeping indoors so much, I'd have the funds to finally build an awesome computer... ;p

mat2317

Cheers for the help. I may upgrade my RAM 1st (because its the cheaper option as of now) Crucial Ballistix 2GB Should be fine I hope, Good reviews..

mat2317

I got my 8800GT today installed and wow! I can play crysis all max at around 30fps it does drop occasionally (as it does) but it still runs smooth! I do get the occassional lag spike because of the bottlenecking but I thought it was gonna be alot worse.