A bit worried.

hpi

banned
Well my setup in my sig appears to need more than 350 watts and im worried something bad is gonna happen if I don't get a new one soon. Im just wanting to know how much longer it can keep up b4 something bad happends bc I dont rlly have money right now for a new one bc I just spent it all.

PC eye

banned
You are definitely on the low side there. I wouldn't on any heavy gaming or running multimedia players for any extended period of time just the basics only. You should add 100w at least to see good results since a heavier supply will offer more amps on the 12v rails. Plus the newer boards require the extra 12v feed for the cpu. A good 450w, 480, or 500w supply will work if you are not planning any particular ocing or Crosfire setup later. Keep it simple until you get the larger supply.

Geoff

VIP Member
Please tell me that PSU didnt come with your case... Do you know how many amps there are on the +12V rails?

hpi

banned
Ya it did come with the case. Im playing battlefield 2142 and im playing lots of cs:s.

Im not sure how many amps though.

murdock22

I have the same chip as you, doesn't your motherboard need a 12v ESP? the eight pin connector? or you just using a 4 pin connector and leaving the other 4 empty? I am currenty running a thermaltake purepower 680W if you were wondering.

hpi

banned
I wrote it down:

vac-input:voltage:115/230v
current:10a/5a
frequency:60/50Hz

vdc:+3.3,+5,+12,-12,-5,+5sb

max dc output:28A,40A,1.0A,1.0A,3.0A

PC eye

banned
When they put crap in cases they do a great job don't they?! :p You're the one that gets ripped off with the "lowest end" clunkers even on good brand cases. Make sure you "buy separate" the next time you order a case to avoid getting stiffed again.

hpi

banned
Ya god damn so does this mean I shouldn't play games until I get a new psu and do lots of multi tasking and such? The last thing I wan't is something messing up in my pc.

PC eye

banned
With the small supply there you will most likely start seeing sudden reboots or a number of other problems once you start putting any good loads on the system. The output on that supply is low where any good draw on it will end up with you seeing the lights dim! For checking the mail and some "light" gaming without FEAR(Oblivion, Prey, and a number of others) you'll probably slide for a few weeks. But?

lovely?

Ya god damn so does this mean I shouldn't play games until I get a new psu and do lots of multi tasking and such? The last thing I wan't is something messing up in my pc.

watch out you might want to delete that because you might get banned, they've been banning like crazy today and i'd hate to lose you too. already i know of omega and motoxrdude are gone
**sad face** omega was right up there with the best for advice

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
What I was looking at was the amperage for output more then the wattage. Even for a 350w model that seemed on the low side. Take a look at an Antec Smart Power 350w model and look at the specifications for output seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103934

Output+3.3V@22A, +5V@21A, +12V1@10A, +12V2@15A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A (SP models make the "bad" list while TP and Neo made it to the "good" list and still that's an improvement.)

hpi

banned
just straight out do not go for anything less than 500W you dont want too ever replace a psu. i would know. if you have the money, get this: ocz gamexstream 700W

Hm. Time to find a way to make that money.

pceye:Would it be ok for me to just browse the internet,music and msn and all and counter strike or is that to much of a load? I cant stay without playing counterstrike!!

So far ive had no issues like rebooting and starting up and such.

PC eye

banned
On lower settings and not trying to push the limits you would have to see how it went. At the first sign of problems like seeing a sudden restart or freeze ups you would know the answer on that. On games it depends on the actual loads placed on your hardwares.

Personally I found running WMP with the screen saver going during playback of mp3 files actually heated things up far more then HL2, SOF II. PREY, FEAR, and the expansion pack as well! That shows that more power was being drawn with WMP then with the games. BUT! You still want to keep an eye on it.

hpi

banned
How about if I close every thing running like msn and limewire and all that and just play the game alone atleast until I get a new psu.?

PC eye

banned
Well that would be "running it basic" now wouldn't it? You can easily use the msconfig utility to disable all unnecessary startup items to free up resources. That can help a little with the power situation as well as freeing more ram. The main thing to remember here is not to try any system pounders at this point. Limewire and msn messenger are more IE related and don't grab power for the most part. They simply compete for the bandwidth of your internet connection. But they are still running in the background.

PC eye

banned
You will just have to stay with the basics and not pile stuff on as well as trying to oc anything. If it's running now without problems you just have keep from adding additional drives/devices as well as not running a load of things all at once. That will help you from taxing the supply. Too bad you didn't see the make and model on the sticker. That would help get more details on the supply itself. But those included free with the case are generally ???