A GPU between $80-$100

Danda

Alright, so my cousin wants to buy a GPU, and he has a low end computer for gaming. Surprisingly, it can run Crysis 2 at mid to low settings a bit over 60 FPS

He has about 4 gigs 800 DDR2
550w Power Supply
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.45 GHz
And currently has a 9500 GT I believe

He wants to get a better GPU, but I am not sure what would be suitable for a $80-$100 price he is asking for. Any tips guys?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129153

I found this and thought this might be a good one, yet again I always like to get a second opinion. Thanks again!

accessoriesguy

That's called a Graphics Card. GPU's are inside of the graphics card. The reason I say this is because generally laptops now have GPU's (so they don't take up room or power by graphics cards) and generally GPU's can not be replaced since they are embedded into the motherboard.

The new Second Generation intel i5, and i7 processors have a GPU die on the processor chip itself.

Anyways enough with the chit chat. The graphics card you chose seems good, and whats great about it is the fact that you can sli it, can the current card sli? because that would really make this an awesome match.

The biggest thing I recommend is check how much power your computer uses and how much power your power supply provides. If you go over you will not be able to use the card. You can go with a card that does not rely on the power supply unit, but this of course cuts power.

So it is up to you, but great card none the less.

jonnyp11

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2964.html

i normally just refer to this, it's saying the 5670 since the 6670 is barely an upgrade from the other, but if he wants the best he can then the 6670, the one you chose is fine but there are others for about 70 with mir's that take it to 50's and bellow i think, and those will work just as well, there is an xfx that is nice and although it has ddr3 it has a higher mem clock so it might work better

Last edited:

jonnyp11

actually its not cheaper he just picked out a overpriced card, idk why its that much, and i was saying the post i linked to said the benefits aren't enough in game to say spend ~25 more for the average card.

jonnyp11

where is he gunna find one of those, other than ebay where people who don't know crap drive the price above retail half the time

Fooozball

microcenter sells a 9800$ for like 50$ after MIR. Plus there's alot of grabs on ebay... that are real cheap if your smart.

mihir

VIP Member
First the PSU brand and specs/model.

And then I think newegg still has some HD 5830s for $110. :D