About to place order... last chance to stop me

JAPPO

Nice setup, they charged what, $300 or so to build it for you?
Was that sarcastic? Lol.

No they charged $50 to build it, $50 for shipping insurance. Tax is 13% here which is outrageous but it's not their fault. So that may have raised the price a bit more than what you'd think.

bomberboysk

Was that sarcastic? Lol.

No they charged $50 to build it, $50 for shipping insurance. Tax is 13% here which is outrageous but it's not their fault. So that may have raised the price a bit more than what you'd think.
Ah, tax is why its so pricey. With tax and the fees for that then it sounds about right for the parts. Plus they charge a little more for parts when they prebuild it from what i saw looking through their builder.

JAPPO

I could've bought a pre-built Gateway for $100 or so less with a better video card (GTX 285), but I assumed Gateway used cheap parts that would hurt me in the long run.

bomberboysk

I could've bought a pre-built Gateway for $100 or so less with a better video card (GTX 285), but I assumed Gateway used cheap parts that would hurt me in the long run.
Yeah, especially in the powersupply and motherboard area. Plus you can always overclock your rig;)

JAPPO

It was 750 watt although it didn't say which brand... which I assume is also very important. It could be some no-name from the dollar store.

bomberboysk

It was 750 watt although it didn't say which brand... which I assume is also very important. It could be some no-name from the dollar store.
The gateway? With them a 750w is probably more like a quality 450/500W. Trust me, getting your own components was the best choice you can make. Especially when you get good memory vs off brand, better quality parts, etc. Post some pics once you get it;)

JAPPO

Just for fun I went to tigerdirect.ca and added up all the components to see if I got a good deal.

All in all if I bought every single part seperately it would have been $140 cheaper. However, I'd have to build it myself and it wouldn't include the NCIX 1-year warranty. Plus I'd have to pay a little more for shipping, which would make the savings more in the $100 area.

So $100-120 for a company to build the computer for me plus give an extra layer of warranty. I haven't built a computer before, soo... good deal or not?

bomberboysk

Just for fun I went to tigerdirect.ca and added up all the components to see if I got a good deal.

All in all if I bought every single part seperately it would have been $140 cheaper. However, I'd have to build it myself and it wouldn't include the NCIX 1-year warranty. Plus I'd have to pay a little more for shipping, which would make the savings more in the $100 area.

So $100-120 for a company to build the computer for me plus give an extra layer of warranty. I haven't built a computer before, soo... good deal or not?
well, all the parts have at least one year of warranty on them anyhow;) XFX gpu's have double lifetime, some mobos have either 3year, 5year or lifetime warranties, cpu's usually 3 year, memory is usually lifetime, psu's are usually around 3-5years warranty.

JAPPO

well, all the parts have at least one year of warranty on them anyhow;) XFX gpu's have double lifetime, some mobos have either 3year, 5year or lifetime warranties, cpu's usually 3 year, memory is usually lifetime, psu's are usually around 3-5years warranty.
Lol damnit, so not a good deal?

Jamin43

banned

If you're happy - it's a good deal.

You wouldn't work for free. I don't think a PC builder would either. If they told you they would - I'd be suspicious :eek:

JAPPO

Should I have gotten the Asus P6T Deluxe or just kept the normal P6T?

I don't really know the difference. I do want to upgrade to a better video card in the future, probably dual GPUs crossfired or SLI'd. So will the standard P6T suffice?

bomberboysk

Should I have gotten the Asus P6T Deluxe or just kept the normal P6T?

I don't really know the difference. I do want to upgrade to a better video card in the future, probably dual GPUs crossfired or SLI'd. So will the standard P6T suffice?
Yes, the normal P6T is good.

PohTayToez

The difference is pretty minimal. The P6T Delux would perform better if you wanted to have three graphics cards, and has a couple extra USB ports, but the P6T has a couple extra SATA ports.

JAPPO

For instance, this is purely hypothetical, could I have 2 GTX 295's SLI'd with the standard P6T?

I probably won't ever need something like that, but it's nice to have options.

bomberboysk

For instance, this is purely hypothetical, could I have 2 GTX 295's SLI'd with the standard P6T?

I probably won't ever need something like that, but it's nice to have options.
Yes, the deluxe really only shines for tri sli, in quad sli the boards would be pretty much identical.

JAPPO

I didn't think the standard A6T supported quad SLI. If it does then cool, thanks.

Mount three PCI-Express 2.0 x16 cards for cutting-edge graphic power with support for either NVIDIA 3-way SLI or ATI Quad-core CrossFireX. 100% all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors give longer life and higher energy efficiency by supplying power to vital components independently.

bomberboysk

I didn't think the standard A6T supported quad SLI. If it does then cool, thanks.

Mount three PCI-Express 2.0 x16 cards for cutting-edge graphic power with support for either NVIDIA 3-way SLI or ATI Quad-core CrossFireX. 100% all high-quality conductive polymer capacitors give longer life and higher energy efficiency by supplying power to vital components independently.
Pretty much any board supports quad sli and sli, because they only need 2 slots. Tri sli support is better on the deluxe than the standard version though.