Acer laptop not starting up

Hernando

Hello,

I have a Acer laptop, its a ASPIRE 5733Z-4851. I'm having trouble with starting it up, when i turn it on it, it start's like it normaly would but then it stops at where it says "starting windows" and it stays there all the time and doesn't start up. I have a windows home premium 32 bit operating system.

All the help greatly appreciated since i need to use my laptop urgently!

Hernando

Hernando

well now i left it turned like that for a long time and it took about an hour till it finally turned on all the way. I'm sure that something has to be wrong if it takes that long to boot so does anyone have suggetions on how to find and fix the problem??

thanks,

Hernando

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, it sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Do you know what brand it is?

Hernando

the hard drive is a Western digital. I think all the rest information on the laptop is in my first post. So could you explain how exactly i can check the hard drive?

My laptop kind of had the same problem (except it would BSOD instead of hang there).

After checking the HDD I would boot it in Safe Mode and see if it hangs on one of the drivers (Safe Mode will show what it's loading so if it stops on one line then it's stuck). If your laptop doesn't come up with the Safe Mode screen you can force it by repeatedly pressing F8 when you start it up.

I have no idea the steps you would take to fix it if that is the problem. I ended up reinstalling Vista. Maybe someone else could help you if it is (or if it is not).

Good luck :)