activate virtual machine windows.

diroga

I have one install of windows activated as the Host OS using the Key that came with the cd from MS. I installed windows using the same CD and key in virutal box. I get the ususal activate popup. My question is will MS let me run both copies of windows at the same time, one has host the other as guest VM? I dont want to have to call MS and do the phone activation then get a new Key and kill my host.

G25r8cer

Nope sorry you cant run two machines with the same key. You might however get away with getting another key from microsoft by explaining your situation to them. But we all know how much we dread that!

zombine210

Is it XP or Vista?
If it's XP it will work.

negative! it's the other way around.
it wont work with xp, but vista you can have one host and 4 VMs.

http://wskills.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-activation-and-virtual.html
"you have to buy a new license for each Windows virtual machine (VM) you want to run."

download.microsoft.com/download/3/d/4/3d42bdc2-6725-4b29-b75a-a5b04179958b/licensing_vista_with_VM_technologies.docx
"You may run on the licensed device at any one time one copy, or instance, of the software directly on the hardware (the physical operating system environment) and up to four instances of the software in virtual machines."
works with Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate

i looked into this myself when i downloaded virtualbox.

Last edited:

diroga

lame. its kinda like drm. its gonna get crack and people will break the licencing...

im ok with charging $50 more and having it work on three computers. at least that would cover a common household.

El DJ

I have XP installed on 4 or 5 different computers with the same key.
So why would a VM be any different?

zombine210

I have XP installed on 4 or 5 different computers with the same key.
So why would a VM be any different?

you're doing it wrong :D

what kind of license do you have?
the above rule applies to OEM and retail.
you probably have a volume licensing edition, or um... *cough*pirate