Advice on a gaming

Shootz

So i will not be doing any heavy gaming on this but here is my build so far

1c15330f8fd594da994d08639a5cc975.png

Now i am going to upgrade a bit
For one i am defiantly beefing up the psu and the nest thing i dont know what to get

Should i get a better cpu like the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Or
Should i get a better graphics card like the GeForce GTX 550 Ti

What do you guys think that would yield me with better fps in game This already gives me about 250 but i have a little low of a resolution at 800x600 so what i need to know is what one of the two listed will let me bump up my res a little bit and get better fps?

Cameldude

more details on the Hard drive,
As you might be aware hard drive is always a bottleneck, so if you think of upgrading, upgrade your hard drive!!!

and to boost your resolution just go to personalisation and up it up!!!!!
you have a very good GPU....
by the way unless you have a better screen then 800x600 you can't get better resolution!!! wait wait wair, did i read this right you have resolution of 800x600, how did not up this up yet!!! is little google not working!!! (joke, but seriously do you not know how to or something)

and do you mean to tell me 250fps is not enough!!!!

Last edited:

Shootz

more details on the Hard drive,
As you might be aware hard drive is always a bottleneck, so if you think of upgrading, upgrade your hard drive!!!

and to boost your resolution just go to personalisation and up it up!!!!!
you have a very good GPU....
by the way unless you have a better screen then 800x600 you can't get better resolution!!! wait wait wair, did i read this right you have resolution of 800x600, how did not up this up yet!!! is little google not working!!! (joke, but seriously do you not know how to or something)

and do you mean to tell me 250fps is not enough!!!!
Okay that was a lot of reading :D
I mean 800x600 in game pretty low settings and with this i can get 250 fps but when i get higher to a res where i can actually see well i get about 50-70 fps not too bad but bot by a long shot 250. So my question was what should i upgrade to reach a higher fps with a higher screen res in game? Should i go for a better Video card and up it to the 550ti or i could also do the 5850 or should i go with the cpu and get the Amd 965? What one do you think could give me a nice gain in fps, and as for the hdd i used this in my old pc, and got about 50 fps so a nice rise so i don't believe thats whats causing this. But any how it is a 700GB seagate something or another

Cameldude

If your really want it then i guess yes, i am just surprised, then tell us your budget, the 5850 is good, but it is getting out of date, its all about the 6xxx now, in terms of cpu you have dual core at 3.1ghz thats very good (not good with AMD CPU's), since most application are not multi threaded,
another question whats your RAM speed @...
and just my opinion, you will play most of your games at around 60-100 fps at highest settings... that is good!!!

Shootz

If your really want it then i guess yes, i am just surprised, then tell us your budget, the 5850 is good, but it is getting out of date, its all about the 6xxx now, in terms of cpu you have dual core at 3.1ghz thats very good (not good with AMD CPU's), since most application are not multi threaded,
another question whats your RAM speed @...
and just my opinion, you will play most of your games at around 60-100 fps at highest settings... that is good!!!
So what your saying is the new 5850 is the 6850? And i dont know if you know off hand but i am playing Cod 4 at the moment getting the 250 fps with it, and what one would be better for games like that as in first person shooters. A better cpu or a better video card. My budget as of now is at around $250- 300 on this but than you have to factor in the psu CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 which is $70 so figure about $150- 200

kdfresh09

can you tell me what monitor your using, or at least its maximum resolution? if so then i will provide you with some definate answers to your question, but for starters, a new psu and gpu is what you are going to want to get. please provide the kind of psu you have as well, just in case

CAMELDUDE-he has a 5670. this is not a "very good gpu" as you stated to the OP. its main stream is for hd media and basic pc stuff, not for gaming, although it may handle some games OK, it will not keep up with any high resolution game at any kind of higher quality settings.

Last edited:

Shootz

My max res is 1366 x 768 and yeah thats what i thought to get a better card i am thinking of the 6850 you heard of it being good? and my Psu is some 400w one, need way more power for a gaming rig upgrading to a 600w corsair and eventually am going to get a new cpu but i just wanted to know what would get me better fps with a little higher res in game for now.

kdfresh09

alright, answering your question about the 6850. yes it is a good card and would run your games maxed out at the resolution your playing at. if you go higher in the future by getting another monitor with higher resolution, then framerates will go down. i am however partial to nvidia, only cause i feel they offer a little more performance in actual game play compared to ati/amd cards ive had, and i like that they support physx, among other reasons

some other options would be this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Force GTX 470 (Fermi)&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20
this is the card that im using. it runs great, although a little warm, but you cant beat the price, even though it is recertified. maybe some other options, such as the gtx 460 (1 gig version) great card. the 5850 i think is a little more powerful than the 6850. i think the 6870 is on par with the 5850. all the cards listed above will play your games maxed out at 1366x786 resolution, and will be under or at $200. you will be happy with any one of them

as for performance, id say that the 470, 6870, and 5850, are all equal pretty much with the 470 being a little more on top. the 460 and 6850 are equal as well. these 2 will be the cheapest, running low to mid $100 range, while the other 3 will run from the mid to high $100 range. all are winners for you.

Last edited:

Shootz

alright, answering your question about the 6850. yes it is a good card and would run your games maxed out at the resolution your playing at. if you go higher in the future by getting another monitor with higher resolution, then framerates will go down. i am however partial to nvidia, only cause i feel they offer a little more performance in actual game play compared to ati/amd cards ive had, and i like that they support physx, among other reasons

some other options would be this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Force GTX 470 (Fermi)&Order=PRICE&Pagesize=20
this is the card that im using. it runs great, although a little warm, but you cant beat the price, even though it is recertified. maybe some other options, such as the gtx 460 (1 gig version) great card. the 5850 i think is a little more powerful than the 6850. i think the 6870 is on par with the 5850. all the cards listed above will play your games maxed out at 1366x786 resolution, and will be under or at $200. you will be happy with any one of them

as for performance, id say that the 470, 6870, and 5850, are all equal pretty much with the 470 being a little more on top. the 460 and 6850 are equal as well. these 2 will be the cheapest, running low to mid $100 range, while the other 3 will run from the mid to high $100 range. all are winners for you.
Now thats some awesome information thanks! But my last question would be with my duel core AMD II x2 Would it be able to handle the 470? I have heard that if your cpu is not the best than the video card with not run well with it

kdfresh09

your cpu is going to be a bottleneck for most of the cards, except for MAYBE the 460 and the 6850. however, i would not worry about this. afet you get a new gpu you will be able to up your resolution, which will take some load off of the cpu and throw it on the gpu. so getting any of the 5 cards will give you considerable performance increase compared to your current card, even with your dual core. for a while i ran an amd athlon II x 2 250 3Ghz dual core with a 470 and it ran all my games on either high or max. the only time you will see the cpu holding back your gpu, is when a game is coded for more than 2 cores. and even then, its not really too noticeable. as long as your at or around 3Ghz, your cpu should keep up with the 5 cards i suggested.

salvage-this

I would stay away from the 470. Just because of the GF100 chip. If it is not too expensive take a look at any of the GTX 560Ti models. They are outperforming the 470s while taking less power and producing less heat.

kdfresh09

getting anything other than what i had suggested for him will put him out of his budget, since he also is getting a psu. otherwise, yes, the 560 would be a great option. but honostly, for the price of the 470 on newegg, you cant go wrong, so long as you keep the air flow good. my cards never go over 88c when gaming, with fans at 80%. but honostly for the OP, i would probably save a few more bucks, and get the gtx 560 from nvidia.

Last edited:

Shootz

Okay well i got a new budget around $350
So what i am thinking is upgrading to a quad core AMD, A better graphics card, and a more powerful psu about 600 to 650.
What would you guys recommend on this?

kdfresh09

right, well if you were to do that, be sure to get an socket am3 cpu, and be sure that your motherboard will support it. there is no point in buying anything other than an am3 socket cpu by amd, as it will be too old for it being worth buying. my suggestion, is go with an athlon II x 4 640 3Ghz quad core cpu=$100. get that corsair psu you already were looking at, or spend around $60 at most for one, since anything in that price range should be good for your new set up so long as you stay with good brands like corsair, antec, pc p&c, ect ect. that will put you at about $200 left for your new card, which i would still recommend the ones i did earlier. if you saves another $50, you could get the gtx560, but really, with the recommended cpu a new psu and any card i suggested earlier, will give you a whole new gaming experience and you WILL be happy hands down...good luck

tech savvy

How is the hard drive a bottleneck?

agree to disagree here.for a responsive OS/Apps than the HDD is a bottle neck.for gaming...no, its not a bottle neck.games dont run faster/better with a SSD vs a traditional HDD, they will run the same.

Shootz

Im pretty decided on the 550 TI as the card i am going to go with, have you heard anything good on it. i have looked at performance compared to the card i am running now the 5670. And it blows it out of the water whats your thoughts?