Advice on media computer

Breadman177

I am going to build a media computer where I can have all my movies and music and hooked up to my tv in the living room and need a few questions answered. The only thing it will be used for is movies and music. I want it to be small and quiet yet stay cool.

Could I just use on board video? If not what's the cheapest card I should get?

What is a good small case that will still keep stuff cool?

What cpu should I get? No need to over do it and heat things up more than needs to be.

Is $180 really the cheapest you can get the full version of windows?

wellhellothere

For what you've described, I would put Ubuntu on. It's free and will more than satisfy your needs. It looks nicer than Windows as well :)

Breadman177

Well by full version I just mean not an upgrade and if I get another motherboard down the line I can still use it.

That case I think is still a little too large though I did find one that I really like, just not sure if I want to spend that much.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133187
I think that would look cool sitting up there by my TV.

I don't really have a budget but the less I spend the more I can spend on other things lol

claptonman

The best thing you could possibly buy is a small SSD, and keep everything else on either an external or another internal drive. And yeah, $180 is the cheapest.

daisymtc

I am going to build a media computer where I can have all my movies and music and hooked up to my tv in the living room and need a few questions answered. The only thing it will be used for is movies and music. I want it to be small and quiet yet stay cool.

Could I just use on board video? If not what's the cheapest card I should get?

What is a good small case that will still keep stuff cool?

What cpu should I get? No need to over do it and heat things up more than needs to be.

Is $180 really the cheapest you can get the full version of windows?

You can consider AMD APU if you get enough budget.

Last edited:

daisymtc

Well by full version I just mean not an upgrade and if I get another motherboard down the line I can still use it.

That case I think is still a little too large though I did find one that I really like, just not sure if I want to spend that much.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133187
I think that would look cool sitting up there by my TV.

I don't really have a budget but the less I spend the more I can spend on other things lol

The case is slight expensive without psu included
I don't know how much you like the case, but you can get cheaper and smaller SILVERSTONE SUGO SG02-BF

If you want even smaller, you can consider mini-itx.
You can check out SILVERSTONE Sugo SG05-B/ SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450

jonnyp11

for what you want you'd only need a simple cpu and there would be no need to upgrade in the future, so a single application windows would be fine and is 80 less, actually is currently 95 off

jonnyp11

that motherboard doesn't fit in the case at all, the one i linked is the right size, and i wouldn't pay that much for the case either

that psu is a waist of money, get this one, is on special so is a great deal, the cx500 i would normally say is more than this and is normally the best deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-082511-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17371031-L06C

and these have a much lower latency

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226103

but did you even see my list, was perfectly fine other than slower ram, but that was still more than fast enough for what you want.

Breadman177

How does the motherboard not fit? They are both micro atx and the case will fit 9.6 x 9.6 and the mother board is 9.6 x 7.87. I'm not saying you are wrong I'm just wondering how you came up with that conclusion.

I really like that case and am willing to spend the money on it.

I really want a modular psu so I don't have all those extra cables in there that I'm not using.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

well i looked at the links and originally saw the word mini in the title and looked at the pick which looks alot like mitx, so i was wrong, but the airflow wont be the best and i don't think there is cable management either, there is just so many benefits to going atx and full/super/mid tower case