Advice on new laptop

The Astroman

Hey all,
So, I am no stranger to laptops. I have owned a few, and even more desktops, over the course of my short life. I have always used Microsoft Windows, mainly because I was used to it. I recently switched to Ubuntu Linux (NW) on my netbook, which has it's ups and downs.

I need a new laptop, which will act as my main computer, so I need something "powerful". The most demanding usage I require is viewing 720p MKV videos, so I need something with enough power to decode that (dunno if it's CPU or GPU-intensive). Otherwise nothing very exotic; Microsoft Office, heavy web usage (720p YouTube), some coding, planning a hostile takeover of southern Namibia, etc.

Some other features I need from a laptop are worldwide warranty, and otherwise a durable, reliable and robust machine. My immediate thought was to buy a Mac (yikes) which has all these features, and installing Windows and Linux on it, as I'm not a big fan of Mac OS (I might give it a try though). Can the current MBPs and MBAs with the Intel HD Graphics 3000 be used to view HD content (720p MKVs)?

I am far from being an Apple fanboy (despite having owned several iPods, iPhones and an iPad), quite on the contrary. I have never advocated their computers for my sort of usage, but it would seem now that they have Intel processors and their price has come down a bit, they do offer exactly what I am looking for. The fact that the casing is pure aluminium, and as a consequence makes for a light yet sturdy machine, is very appealing. I do not know of any other manufacturer which makes a laptop feel so well made. Do you?

If I do decide on a Macbook, the next step would be whether to buy a MBP or a MBA. Despite having a slower processor, I am told the MBA has near identical performance to the MBP, I guess thanks to its NAND storage. That would make it the logical winner, as it also boasts extreme portability. What do you think?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer.

daisymtc

What is your budget? I never be a fan of MacBook. They are good, but I think they are overpriced.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

well if he's looking at macbooks then he's talking at or over 1k usd, but there thanks to there economic system things cost more in those areas from what i've seen, but a macbook sir wouldn't be the most robust thing as that would mean out and about and able to take some dirt and stuff, i con't see the air doing that, and the pro probably wouldn't be happy with it.

daisymtc

well if he's looking at macbooks then he's talking at or over 1k usd, but there thanks to there economic system things cost more in those areas from what i've seen, but a macbook sir wouldn't be the most robust thing as that would mean out and about and able to take some dirt and stuff, i con't see the air doing that, and the pro probably wouldn't be happy with it.

With $1k, there is plenty of choice.
Actually, I believe a $700 laptop should do the work...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246094

Perkomate

Dell Inspiron 15R. Best price to performance ratio that i can find, and they're super ultra reliable. I know someone who's had one for more than about 3 or 4 years, and it's never had any trouble.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Dell Inspiron 15R. Best price to performance ratio that i can find, and they're super ultra reliable. I know someone who's had one for more than about 3 or 4 years, and it's never had any trouble.

The Inspiron R series are new to the line, maybe a year or two. I like Dell but with there Inspiron line you have to be careful cause with each new release they purchase from a new OEM manufacture. I had a Dell Inspiron B130 and it was a great laptop, the Inspiron 1501 I had on the other had only lasted a year before one of the fans went out and over heating became a problem but I guess I cannot complain cause it did literally run for 1 year 24/7 none stop doing things for me.

Perkomate

the one I am talking about is the 15R. I'm not a dell rep or anything, just someone who has had experience. the build quality seems to be top-notch, and it's one of the only laptops I can find that has I3 and a discrete graphics card, and a 15 inch screen.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am just going to say this cause I have owned many Dells and I generally like them but stay away from Inspiron, the Studio and the XPS are were Dell puts there money into, much better quality.

slt200mph

I am a rookie with laptops. My first one will be delivered today. I have a Dell 15R coming. I do not have big needs from a computer. I surf the net, email, save some photos and music and will watch some movies. I have a friend that has the same one that I ordered and I spent some time on it before I made my purchase. It seems like a very nice machine to me. The i3 processor is very fast and I do hate to sit and wait on computers. I got spoiled at work with the high speed system that they have and I now require.

Perkomate

also try laptoprec.com you put in a heap of differnet options then it spits out a reccomendation for you.