advice on toshiba laptop please

lunercrab

Ok so i'm currently running a gateway 10.1" netbook plus a 15" toshiba laptop...i'm trying to get the best of both and buy just one netbook/laptop...i need something that can handle flash videos online, like things like hulu ect....my current netbook is no capable of viewing video online as it stutters and is choppy....i'm looking at a laptop in the 11.6" size, i found one at toshiba's website, but it's amd, i've never owned an amd before and not sure how good it is...my biggest concern is will it be able to handle flash video since it's dual core and better graphics card? can anyone lend any advice on this issue? here's the computer

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/T210/T215D-S1150WH

DMGrier

VIP Member
I do not like Toshiba personally, I would recommend this Lenovo Ideapad U150

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor SU4100 ( 1.30GHz 800MHz 2MB )
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
11.6" HD WXGA LED 1366x768
Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
250GB 5400
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
One Year

Total $629

A little more then the Toshiba but a far better quality computer and it will do really good for your needs.
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...nfigureMtmAsItem?mtm-item=:000000F3:00002613:

And if I may add it has a little more RAM and Intel is currently the better cpu so it even kind of makes up for the price.

Last edited:

Drenlin

Toshiba is the #2 manufacturer for laptop reliability, just barely behind Asus. Sony is #3 with Apple a close 4th. Lenovo is #7, significantly behind them.

Considering that Lenovo's Thinkpad line is rather well built, logic would dictate that the Ideapad line is what's dragging them down...

In addition, the only thing that the Lenovo does significantly better is that it has another gig of RAM, vs the Toshiba's larger hard drive and Radeon 4xxx series graphics chip. The graphics support hardware acceleration in flash videos, which will help significantly...the Lenovo's Intel chip can't do this, so it'll probably bog down while playing HD content.

So basically, TS, the toshiba you picked is better in just about every way for what you're looking for. Good choice, IMO. :good:

Last edited:

lunercrab

Sweet as long as the toshiba can handle like hulu or netflix I'll be happy. I have a toshiba laptop and I was happy with it for the two years I've had it. Thanks guys. I've only ever owned intel computers so I wasn't sure how this processor stood up against intel.
Oh and I also planning on throwing at least another 2 g of ram in it right away

Last edited:

Drenlin

You'll be fine then. That's not the fastest processor around, (the Lenovo's is actually a bit faster), but the graphics chip should pick up the slack for flash movies. Or any Adobe software, for that matter.

1shado1

hey one more quick question...how are the hps? i'm looking at this laptop vs toshiba one i posted originally...hp has 100 rebate so with the price difference i can bump up a few things like the processor and memory..i saved it in my cart, but here's the link...hopefully it'll work...

https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/...eLink=true&bvLoadCart=1&action=add&disp_msg=0

According to this study, HP has been the least reliable brand for a couple years. Personally, I'd pass.

http://lifehacker.com/5524704/laptop+reliability-study-highlights-

1shado1

How accurate is this study? I only ask because they claim that asus and Toshiba are more reliable then apple? I am not surprised but I know all apple users would disagreed.

Heck, who knows for sure? But probably more valid than personal opinions (or at least not any less valid). :D

Renée

Heck, who knows for sure? But probably more valid than personal opinions (or at least not any less valid). :D

I had a HP laptop and nothing but trouble with it, threw it down the tip in the end, only 8 months old.

Have had generic second hand full computers, worked fine & currently have a toshiba notebook which I can't fault, only that I set it up as 32 bit instead of 64. That's my 2 cents worth. :)

I'm posting from a Toshiba laptop right now and have been more than satisfied with it, even if it is still running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Drenlin

How accurate is this study? I only ask because they claim that asus and Toshiba are more reliable then apple? I am not surprised but I know all apple users would disagreed.

The top 4 are pretty close...apple's only behind by a little bit. But yes, the top 3 all make very solid machines. I have no trouble believing that study. The only consistent fault I find in any of them is that Toshiba kind of skimps on the shell sometimes, but they get the job done and the guts are typically good quality, so it doesn't matter all that much. Function over form and all...

Last edited: