Advice on Video Cards!!

Styleprojekt

I know this is just another of 100's advice seeking topics but its always nicer to get advice to your specific needs:

My Video Card has been broken for months now and i havent used my comp at all wich cost my over 2.5K last year to build and its a shame that its just sitting around....anyways, i have not been looking into any computer hardware related topics for the past 6 months now and i am lost plus my little bit of knowledge back then when i built my comp is rusty now :eek: . I need to get a new Video card for the following system:

Asus P5AD2 Premium Motherboard (PCI Express)
http://www.digital-daily.com/motherboard/asus-p5ad2-premium/
- P4 3.6 GHZ
-1 GB DDR2
-Windows XP Pro

I had a Radeon X800 XT and dont really know if i want the same one again. I need the comp to edit video footage in DVD quality, gaming is secondary and has almost left my field of interest anyways but i might get back into it, but i mainly need this system for very very good video editing.
I am lost with all these cards out there and would like to hear you guys' recommendations...
- Geforce 6800 GT
- Geforce 6800 Ultra
- Radeon X800 XT non PE or PE
- Radeon X850 XT non PE or PE
and others

Whats the difference between a Asus Radeon X800 XT or a ATI Radeon X800 XT with exact same specs for example? For my needs and set up what do you think would be the best card? Price...it will hurt to throw away a back then 500 dollar card anyways :( ...but right now i only have 340 bucks to spend but if u think its really worth it then i can borrow money to get my comp working again.
I also have a Watercooling system wich is hooked up to my CPU but never was to my graphics card, u think i should hook it up to the new one?

I appriciate your help :)

Styleprojekt

hmm, but any ATI user woul prolly say the same thing about their card..is yours the GT or Ultra or what? And what makes it so good?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Video Card 101

Whats the difference between a Asus Radeon X800 XT or a ATI Radeon X800 XT with exact same specs for example?
I would imaging a slightly different specification and coolwr.

If it were me i would go with the 6800gt. I have two of them and love them!
X800GTO, 6800GS and X800XL can be had for less (generally)